Inspire Reflection: 2020 in Review

While preparing to write this blog post, I reviewed the first post I wrote in 2020--in which I described my hopes and goals for the year. Looking back, we were all naive about what to expect for the year. In fact, if we knew what the year was going to be like on December 31, 2019, we wouldn't believe it. "A global pandemic? Quarantines? No way! That's not possible." 

Well, as we now know, it all happened. The year 2020 was unlike anything most of us have ever experienced. In my blog post, I said the year was going to be "an amazing year." Well, instead of being "amazing," the year was challenging, frustrating, nerve-wracking, uncertain, and full of doubts. It seemed that things changed daily, and it was difficult to keep up with the news. If you were afraid at any point this year, you're not alone. We have all been there, and we have all felt uneasy.  

Let's look back at some of my hopes and predictions for the year: 

"I'm going to grow as an individual." 

Personal and professional growth has always been important to me. I actively want to grow in my profession as a writer, while also growing in my many relationships with family, friends, special people in my life, etc. 

Even during the quarantines, I witnessed personal and professional growth this year. I gained a new client with my job as a full-time freelance writer, in which I write entertainment articles about your favorite movies and TV shows. I started the job in March right before the COVID-19 pandemic occupied our lives. The job has been steady work this year, and it has been fun writing the articles. It's fun to focus on topics I love while providing entertaining articles for readers. 

(photo/Vela.Insure)

I participated in a virtual writing conference through the Indiana Writers Center. For four days, I virtually met with fellow poets, and fiction and creative nonfiction writers. I took classes that provided more insight on writing, and they inspired me with new ideas for my writing. In 2021, I hope to participate in more virtual conferences. It's fun to engage with other writers in the comfort of my own home! 

Finally, one of the best decisions I made this year was becoming more active on Twitter through the social media's writing community. I'm sharing thoughts about writing and my projects with fellow writers. I answer questions specifically geared towards writers, and they're so much fun to consider. Joining the community has helped me feel more inspired to write my work-in-progress novel, poetry (especially poems about space!), and understand how other writers approach their work. The community is very special, and I'm happy they have welcomed me into the community. 

"Make every day of this year count." 

In the blog post, I wrote: "I fully intended to make every day of this year count. Let each day be worth it--because I have learned that you never know what might happen tomorrow. You never know if you'll have another chance. Make today count. Life is too precious to waste standing by the sidelines." 

This year has proven just how precious life is and how we shouldn't waste it. Families lost loved ones to the COVID-19 illness. Families couldn't even say goodbye to their loved ones. They couldn't visit the hospitals, which is a heartbreaking thought that's hard to process. Life is so precious, and we need to value the time we have with our loved ones.

(photo/MMG's English blog at PMCurie - Edublogs).

Instead of going on vacations this year, our family stayed home. Our memories might not seem like "memories," but I still made every day count. I tried new hobbies, spent as much time with family as possible, and took time to take care of myself. I made memories during a year that seemed like everything had to be cancelled. Life is so precious, and I hope that I will continue to make every day count in 202l. 

"Be brave." 

I was determined to be brave this year. I read Annie F. Downs's book, 100 Days to Brave: Devotions for Unlocking Your Most Courageous Self, and I was determined to be courageous and have the confidence to always move forward--no matter what. 

Annie F. Downs's book "100 Days to Brave" (photo/FaithGateway).

I wanted to discover that I'm braver than I know and that I'm stronger than I ever thought possible. I sensed this change. While I was nervous numerous times this past year, I worked on becoming a braver, stronger person. I dreamed to be brave and I am a much more confident person today than I was in 2019. I'm comfortable in my own skin, and I am thankful that the year 2020 has allowed me to reflect on myself in ways I have never considered before. 

---

Finally, one year ago, I wrote: "I hope the new year brings beautiful changes to you, my dear readers. Continue to feel inspired, influence others, strive for self-confidence, and work to grow into the person you want to become in 2020." 

The year 2020 brought changes, and they weren't always beautiful, welcoming changes. We had to adapt to a new reality, and I believe that this "new normal" will last a while. We will still need to adjust our plans, and that's okay. 

That's why I'm focusing on gratitude this upcoming year. I'm grateful for my family, friends, colleagues, work, creativity, home, food on the table, and health. There are many who can't say the same. They don't have the same privileges, and I am thinking of them. I'm thinking of those who witnessed the worse year of their lives. I'm thinking of the essential workers and healthcare providers who worked around the clock to provide for others, as well as keeping people safe. 

(photo/Sweet PlanIt)

I'm completely grateful for the life I have right now. I hope that no matter what happens in 2021, it will be a year where I will continue to feel grateful. 

Best wishes to you in this new year. Stay safe and hug your loved ones. We made it through the year 2020 together. 

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts