Inspire Great Music for Winter 2020



For as long as I can remember, music has been a crucial part of my life. Music connects our family. My Papaw played the fiddle and a variety of other instruments. My aunts were music teachers. My mom played the piano. My siblings and I inherited our Papaw's talent for fiddle/violin music. Every time I pluck those violin strings, the music fills my spirit and reminds me of the days when I would listen to my Papaw play the fiddle while my aunts or mom accompanied him on the piano.

Music is my home, and I can't really imagine my life without it. Everything changes with music. I dance and sing. It warms my heart and it gives me a sense of peace I struggle to find elsewhere.

This week on the blog, I'm sharing five songs I have been listening to over and over again this winter 2020 season. I can't get enough of these songs. Yes, I'll eventually grow tired of them, but then I'll move on to the songs I'll love for Spring 2020. That's the circle of life for music. Just when you have grown tired of one song, another song enters your life and you fall in love with it. It's a beautiful pattern.

Here's what I'm currently listening to this season, so get ready to dance and sing along. Allow the music to warm your hearts this winter season.

1. Blake Shelton & Gwen Stefani - "Nobody But You" 

Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani (photo/Country Rebel)

Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani have given us a glimpse into their love life with their current duet, "Nobody But You." I'll be honest: I was a little skeptical of this song prior to listening to it. I'm a fan of Blake Shelton. I've featured him on the blog before, and I think he genuinely looks happy in his relationship with Gwen Stefani.

However, I wasn't sure how their vocals would match up in this song. Blake is a country singer and Gwen is an electropop, new wave singer. I didn't think their vocals would harmonize, but I was pleasantly surprised. They sound phenomenal. Their vocals couldn't sound any better together.

"Nobody But You" is a tender love song about wanting "nobody but you." No one else will ever compare. The song gives us a small glimpse into Blake and Gwen's personal life. It's evident they love each other, and I imagine many couples will dance to this song at weddings this year.

And the music video...Beautiful. Gwen resembles Marilyn Monroe, and it's a joy to see their love and personal life presented for us. They have a beautiful love story, and I hope they continue to release more duets together. Just like their relationship, their voices are meant for each other.



2. Hayley Williams - "Simmer" 

Hayley Williams (photo/Hidden Jams)

If you belong to my generation (in your 20s or early 30s), you probably remember rockin' out to Paramore in middle school and high school. Fans related to their heartfelt songs about anxiety, fear, and anger. The songs were often dark, melodic tunes, and they defined a genre for many people of my generation.

Paramore's popularity fizzled by 2015, but believe it or not, they're still a band today. However, in 2020, lead singer Hayley Williams released her first solo track, "Simmer." She tapped into her creativity by showcasing her experiences with anger, depression, fear, anxiety, and fighting to overcome all of her emotions.

In the song, Williams wrestles with the idea of controlling one's anger and how to finally let it go. How to finally let it simmer and phase out. It's consuming to control your emotions, but it's equally difficult to let go of everything. In this powerful, dark melody, Williams shares her true voice with her fans for the first time since she first emerged in the music industry in 2004.

If you were a fan of Paramore, you'll appreciate Williams' debut solo single. Even if you weren't a huge fan of Paramore (like me), you'll still be captivated by this tune that shines a light on a woman's mental health and it's not that easy to just "simmer" and "let it go."



3. Luke Combs - "Even Though I'm Leaving" 

Luke Combs (photo/The Boot)

I shared in a blog post from last summer that I saw Luke Combs perform at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. I was fortunate to be in the audience the same night he was asked to become a member of the Opry. It was an incredible night! Ever since then, I have been a supportive fan of Luke's music. With every single he released, I feel like he's bringing country music back to the past--perhaps to the way it was in the 1990s.

His single, "Even Though I'm Leaving," shows off his softer side with a mandolin-infused country song about a father and son and the circle of life. Even though the father might be leaving, the son is never truly alone. All he has to do is "close (his) eyes and say a prayer" and he'll feel his father's presence.

"Even Though I'm Leaving" draws a strong emotional reaction from listeners, who probably feel the same way about their own parents. You don't want your parents to ever leave you, but...they never really do. They never leave you. The song touches on all the cornerstones of country music (God, country, and family).



4. P!nk - "Walk Me Home" 

P!nk (photo/TNNews)

I don't listen to too much "pop" music. I stick to country or indie/folk music. However, last year, I occasionally heard P!nk's hit single, "Walk Me Home," and I appreciated it. It was the type of pop music I have always loved listening to. Recently, I heard the song again and this time, I continued listening to the song. I played it on repeat and I fell in love with it. It's a stomping power ballad with P!nk belting over heavy drums and a steady twang of an acoustic guitar.

She sings, "Walk me home in the dead of night. I can't be alone with all that's on my mind/ So say you'll stay with me tonight/ 'Cause there is so much wrong going on outside."

It's a powerful song. I have always loved P!nk's songs, but this one is the icing on the cake. You can't help but dance and sing along to the chorus. It's just that good.



5. Jonas Brothers - "What a Man Gotta Do" 

Jonas Brothers (photo/MTV.com)

When the Jonas Brothers returned in 2019 with new music, every girl of my generation couldn't get enough of the songs. I was just like everyone else in middle school. I had Jonas Brothers posters decorating my bedroom walls (my favorite being Nick). I owned their CDs and other merchandise. They were my "boy band." I loved their music, so I very excited to hear the brothers (Kevin, Joe, and Nick) seemed to reconcile their music differences and release new songs.

Their songs the past year have been very impressive. The brothers continue to release one hit song after another. Their recent single, "What a Man Gotta Do," has to be my favorite song yet. It's a catchy, lighthearted tune that captures the essence of romantic nostalgia. It's an irresistibly fun song.

Essentially, the song questions what a man has to do in order for his love interest to be fully committed to him. It's a simple song, but it's packed with fun energy that will certainly get you up on your feet and dancing. I expect this song to be played at wedding receptions. The music video also features the brothers' wives: Danielle Jonas, Sophie Turner, and Priyanka Chopra. That makes it even better. The brothers seemed to know exactly what to do to be "totally locked up by you."



---

(photo/Wisdom Quotes)
Of course, I have been listening to more than just five songs this winter season. I received a record player for Christmas and I have been listening to Frank Sinatra's music, as well as Doris Day's beautiful melodies. I plan to feature my record player in a separate post in the future, so stay tuned (pun intended) for that.

I love discovering new songs and exploring the lyrics. Music is one of the most powerful creative tools and art in existence. It always warms my heart and captivates me. There's nothing else like it.

So, listen to these songs and feel inspired. Let the music fill your hearts with warmth this season. Dance and sing along to the catchy tunes. You know I am!

-KJL-


Comments

Popular Posts