Inspire Travel Part V



Last week, I took a break from the blog--in a good way. I spent a few days in the middle of a rainforest. Well, not an actual rainforest in the jungles of South America, but instead at a relaxing resort in perhaps my favorite city in the country: Nashville, Tennessee.

I have written about my past adventures in Nashville. I'm not a stranger to Music City and judging from my prior experience, it shouldn't be surprising that I enjoyed every minute of our recent vacation. Once again, I stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, which is basically an indoor rainforest. There is so much to do inside the resort that you don't really need to leave the place during your vacation. You can explore the entire resort, go shopping, eat delicious food (check out the delicious photos of one of my meals), and more. You don't have to leave the resort to have a good time.

The Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center.

Onion rings and a grilled cheese sandwich with French fries at Fuse Sports Bar.

That was especially true this year. The resort recently opened a new water park, called SoundWaves, that is an aquatic attraction. It features lazy rivers, waterslides, an activity pool, an infinity pool, and an outdoor wave pool with beach chairs. The wave pool is designed to look like you're at the beach and you definitely feel like you are relaxing at the beach! The entire water park was so much fun and relaxing. It was a great way to spend time outdoors, in the water, and I read a book by the "waves." It doesn't get any better than that!

The famous "I Believe in Nashville" mural. 
But we eventually left the resort to visit downtown Nashville, otherwise known as Broadway. You can't visit Nashville without seeing Broadway--where hopeful musicians line the streets, playing music in honky-tonks and praying they will one day be discovered. It doesn't happen to everyone, as we know, but they keep trying. They keep playing and they never give up on their dreams. It's one of the many things I love about Nashville: it's full of dreams. It's full of wishful thinking and people who believe in their dreams.

While visiting downtown Nashville, we decided to stop at Reese Witherspoon's boutique, Draper James. The boutique was probably the cutest little shop I have ever visited. It's Southern chic with plenty of charm. The retail staff were hospitable and helped me pick out clothes they thought would look good on me. One of them said, "We want you to feel beautiful because you are beautiful." That meant a lot to me.

Draper James featured elite, Southern-inspired modest clothing and accessories that can be worn for any occasion. If you ever find yourself in the Nashville area, be sure to visit the boutique. Maybe if you're lucky, you'll see Reese Witherspoon. We didn't see her, but wouldn't it be amazing if that happened?


Reese Witherspoon's boutique, Draper James.

Finally, we can't visit Nashville without attending shows at the Grand Ole Opry. After all, it's the primary reason we visit and love the city. For this trip, we attended two shows at the gorgeous music house. You haven't been to a show until you've been to the Grand Ole Opry--where you're an audience member of a live radio show broadcast across the world. Even if you're not a fan of country music, you'll still have a fun time. The music is lively, the artists are so talented, and everyone is there to have a good time.

We saw Randy Houser, Chris Janson (who is an amazing performer), Craig Morgan, and Luke Combs. Everyone was a joy to watch, but the highlight of Luke Combs' performance was actually after he was finished singing. Grand Ole Opry members John Conlee, Chris Janson, and Craig Morgan walked out to the stage and stalled with Luke Combs a little while with small talk. Then they surprised Luke with the best question ever: "How would you like to be the next member of the Grand Ole Opry?".

Everyone in the crowd jumped to their feet and applauded. Luke stepped back, crying tears of joy as one of his dreams came true that night. Everyone who performs at the Grand Ole Opry hopes to one day be invited to become a member--to join the Opry family. Not everyone is asked, especially so soon in their career, like Luke Combs. But he was invited and he didn't even say yes. His tears of happiness spoke for themselves. I have always wanted to attend a show at the Grand Ole Opry the same night an artist is surprised with an invitation to become the newest member of the Opry. It's a surprise. No one knows about it--even the artist. It was wonderful to witness and be a part of that history as an audience member. Congratulations, Luke Combs!

Visiting the Grand Ole Opry.

I hope I have inspired you to visit Nashville. It's truly an incredible experience. Nashville is a booming city with a rich history, thriving art and music, fun adventures, and again, it's full of dreams. I'm ready to go back already.

Even if you don't plan to visit Nashville in the nearby future, I hope I have at least inspired you to travel somewhere. See the world. Go outside your comfort zone and go on adventures. I love how carefree I feel when I'm on vacation. I can relax and I'm happy with the people I care most about in my life.

Go travel. You won't regret it.

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts