Inspire Creative Festive Decorations



Last week, I wrote about my favorite holiday traditions. Of course, one of these traditions includes decorating my home with holiday decorations. Shortly after Thanksgiving, it's Christmas galore in my household. The Christmas tree goes up and we decorate it with vintage bubble lights, homemade ornaments, and more.

There's nothing quite like seeing the tree light up with festive colors and the yellow star at the top. It's part of our Christmas traditions--a part of our family. Some decorate their tree with garland, candy canes, strands of popcorn, etc. But if you ask me, the lights, ornaments, and star at the top are all you need to get into the holiday spirit.

To top it all off, we have a Santa Claus figurine, Dalmatian dogs, snowmen, a stuffed reindeer, and vintage ice skates underneath the tree. There's a little bit of everything in our tree, and that's exactly why it's ours. 

(photo/Kasy Long)

But this year has been different. Since I moved out of my childhood home last summer, I had the exciting delight of decorating two Christmas trees this year. Similar to the other tree, this one has festive lights, vintage bubble lights, a variety of ornaments, and a star at the top. Underneath, there are two stuffed polar bears, who feel right at home with us. It's a Christmas tree that reminds me of home.

(photo/Kasy Long)

If you're fortunate enough to own a fireplace, you can also decorate the mantel for the holiday season. Back at my childhood home, we decorate the fireplace mantel with more festive lights, vintage decorations (including two Santa Claus candy holders that belonged to my mother when she was a child), and more. These decorations are priceless to our family, and they'll always be a part of our family.

(photo/Kasy Long)
At my place, we also decorated the fireplace mantel with a variety of farmhouse country rustic items. Thanks to Joanna Gaines, farmhouse country rustic decor is the popular trend for home design in 2018. Even though we don't live in the country, we can always bring a little bit of the "country life" into our home.

(photo/Kasy Long)
For example, we have a lantern with festive ornaments, a bucket with flowers, candles, snowmen, pillows, blankets, and a vintage sleigh. But we also have garland and lights along the mantel, along with an assortment of ornaments.

(photo/Kasy Long)
In one corner of the living room, we decorated our country rustic ladder with a strand of lights and Christmas towels. Then, we hung up the wreath we decorated last year. On the sliding barn door side table, we arranged another strand of garland and lights, and our nativity scene.

(photo/Kasy Long)
Near our front door, we have painted letters hanging on the wall, spelling out "Home." The "O" is always made from a floral arrangement, depending on the season. For the holiday season, we decided to use a wreath for the "O."

(photo/Kasy Long)
Back at my childhood home, my mom loves to display holiday flower arrangements. They were presents to her from my dad. It became a yearly tradition early on in their marriage. Each of these arrangements is different in their own way, but that's what makes them special. They have been a part of my family longer than I have been alive, and they'll always be here--every holiday season.

(photo/Kasy Long)
I love admiring the creative festive decorations. From the tree to the fireplace mantel and more, these decorations get me into the holiday spirit. They're special, for many of them are homemade and have been a part of our family for as long as I can remember. These are priceless additions to our home. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

I encourage you to decorate your house with homemade decorations. There's nothing quite like getting into the holiday spirit than seeing your valuable decorations while you bake delicious sweets, spend time with family and friends, and celebrate the joy and love of the Christmas season.

Happy holidays!

-KJL-



Comments

Popular Posts