Inspire Fun Holiday Traditions


"Have a holly jolly Christmas. It's the best time of the year. I don't know if there'll be snow but have a cup of cheer." 

I couldn't agree more with Burl Ives. Christmas and the holiday season really is one of the best times of the year. The atmosphere is festive. People are generally politer and caring towards others. But it's also the time for families to gather--and that's what I value most.

I grew up in a family with many Christmas traditions. Whether it was decorating the Christmas tree with homemade ornaments, taking annual pictures in front of that tree, sharing what we wished Santa Claus would bring us, taking presents out from under the tree and looking at them every night (and shaking them to guess what was inside), and more, these traditions were ours. That's what makes it special.

(photo/Kasy Long)

My mother loves to share a story of when I was about three years old. I was playing in the family living room while she was in the kitchen. Now, my parents always told us, "Don't open the presents. Don't open them until Christmas. Don't open the presents."

Well, they didn't say anything about taking the name tags off the presents. On that far away December day, I was sitting in front of the Christmas tree, quietly minding my own business. I was quiet--too quiet, my mom decided. She walked into the family room and discovered I had torn off all of the name tags on the presents. I gathered them in a neat pile for her. I didn't open the presents! I just tore the name tags off! It's stories like this that will always be close to my heart, even though I don't remember that day.

Christmas has so many memories--more memories than what I could ever write in a blog post. I value these memories, especially the ones from the holiday season.

(photo/Kasy Long)

Every year, my older sister and I bake homemade sugar cookies, cut them into holiday-themed shapes, and decorate the cookies with red and green frosting and sprinkles. We also decorate gingerbread houses, but the Christmas cookies are a longtime tradition in our family. It wouldn't be Christmas without sugar cookies!

(photo/Kasy Long)

Many of our traditions could be considered "childish." Can adults build and decorate gingerbread houses? Of course! Can adults have fun while baking sugar cookies? You better believe it! Can adults sing Christmas carols, get excited while looking at Christmas boxes, and eagerly anticipate Christmas morning? Yes, yes, yes!

I wouldn't have it any other way. These traditions are our traditions. They get me into the holiday spirit, and you're never too old to have fun with your loved ones. "Fun" doesn't have an age limit.

(photo/Kasy Long)

Besides, everyone has their favorite traditions. These are my favorite Christmas-time activities. This is how we celebrate the most joyous time of the year. Be inspired to have your own traditions. But most importantly, have fun this holiday season. Whatever traditions you want to create (or continue), make them yours. 

Happy holidays!

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts