Weekend Writing: Reviewing Beverly Lewis's "The Road Home"


"My heart knew that all the dear ones God had placed in my path had been part of His beautiful plan, one that had brought me to this remarkable season of thanksgiving...and led me home." - Beverly Lewis, "The Road Home" 

In April 2018, I shared on the blog that I met award-winning Christian author Beverly Lewis at a book signing. She was visiting my hometown as part of her book tour for The Road Home, and I met her and, obviously, received a signed copy of the book. It was an experience I'll never forget, mostly because I have been a fan of Beverly Lewis since high school. I love her Amish fiction, so I was excited to read her newest book.

Well, it took me longer than I thought to start reading The Road Home. I had other books on my "to-be-read" list that I had to finish in 2018, and before I knew it, it was a year later after the book signing when I finally had time to read Lewis's beautiful novel. Even though it took me longer than planned, The Road Home was worth the wait.

Beverly Lewis's The Road Home.

The novel focuses on Lena Rose Schwartz, a young 18-year-old Amish woman who never planned to leave her Old Order Amish community in Centerville, Michigan. But life had other plans for her when her parents died in a tragic accident that made her and her nine younger siblings orphans. After her parents' funeral, her younger brothers and sisters are farmed out to various nearby relatives.

But where did that leave Lena? Because she was 18, finding her a home was more difficult. She was an adult, so she had to find work but there was nothing available for her at the time. With a broken heart, Lena agrees to go live with her father's second cousin and his family in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Not only has Lena lost her parents and is being separated from her family, but now she's moving away from the only home she has ever had.

"As the sun began to rise, Lena Rose leaned against the cool pane of the bus window and gazed out at the familiar landscape of her life. I'm leaving my family and everything I know behind. She sighed, trying to keep her composure."

How will Lena manage being separated from her siblings, especially her eight-year-old brother, Chris, who looks up to her like she's his own mother. And what about Hans Lehman, the beau she was sure she would marry? Certainly, he's the man for her, but now they're miles apart from each other. Will their courtship last? Her local deacon hinted that "a fresh start might do you good," but Lena is confident the only "fresh start" she should have is at home with her family.

Not only is Lena miles away from home, she's suddenly living with a family she has never met. But Lena doesn't have to worry about anything. She couldn't have been blessed with a more loving, kind family to take her under their wing as she heals from her parents' deaths. Harley and Mimi Stoltzfus care for Lena like she's their own daughter. They offer advice, help her when she's feeling blue, and they remind her of God's plans for her. While Lena lives with them, she grows close to their children, especially their youngest son, Eli, who is just a few years older than Lena. She becomes good friends with Lydia, Eli's special girl. Lena becomes friends with other individuals in the Lancaster County community, including James Zook, a widower, Rebekah, a widow who Lena teaches her how to read, and Lydia introduces Lena to Arden Mast, a young Amish man who immediately takes a liking to Lena.

(photo/A Mom's Quest to Teach)

Over the course of the novel, Lena Rose falls in love with the people of Lancaster County. They welcomed her into their lives with open arms. They never treated her like she was an outsider, and Lena realizes that maybe you can have a "home" in multiple places. Home isn't exactly a specific place, but instead the people you spend time with. Mimi became a mother figure Lena desperately needed while she was recovering from her parents' loss. In addition, Harley protected Lena like he was her own father. They gave her a home, so even though Lena was away from her siblings, she couldn't help but feel at home in Lancaster County.

Beverly Lewis (photo/Baker Publishing
Group)
I'm not going to spoil the book for you. You need to read it yourself, but this was a classic Beverly Lewis novel. Once again, her characters felt real. They were genuine, heartfelt, and I was rooting for Lena Rose the entire novel. Yes, I wanted her to eventually go back home (the main goal of the book), but I was rooting for her to connect with the people in her new community. After experiencing such a traumatic loss, Lena needed these individuals in her life. They were all part of God's plan for Lena to feel at home, whether she was in Michigan or Pennsylvania.

Lena learned the importance of God's purpose--to be patient and lean on Him. He knows what's in your heart and will make it happen, as long as you have trust in Him. God knew what He was doing for Lena, and Beverly Lewis emphasized these messages in her beautiful Christian fiction.

The Road Home is a heartwarming story that I found unique and different from other books I have read. Beverly Lewis stole my heart with this novel, so I can't wait to read another one of her masterpieces.

Until next time...Read on!

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts