Inspire Adventure Part II: Meeting Beverly Lewis



In August 2017, I wrote about finding time in your life to go on adventures. This doesn't have to include traveling or momentous events. You can go on small adventures, either by learning something new, finding a new hobby, or going for a midnight drive in the country.

Don't be afraid to try something new and go on adventures, because that's what life is all about. We only have one life, so let's make sure we live it. An adventure is always around the corner. Chase it!

Beverly Lewis's newest book, "The Road Home"
(photo/Kasy Long).
Last week, I had a small adventure--probably one others wouldn't classify as an "adventure," but it's an adventure in my book. Award-winning Christian author Beverly Lewis visited my hometown last week for a book signing of her new book, The Road Home. When I heard she would be visiting, I immediately made plans to attend.

I have been a fan of Lewis since high school. She's the queen of Amish fiction and my favorite series is The Heritage of Lancaster County, aka The Shunning series. Lewis added a new perspective to the way the Amish "shun" individuals who wish to leave to explore "the English life." Through her books, I have learned so much about the Amish and their traditions. Her characters became my friends and Lewis will always be one of my favorite contemporary authors.

My autographed copy (photo/Kasy Long).
I was nervous to meet her! What do you say to someone who has had a long career in writing? What do you say to someone who you have admired for years? What do you say to someone who is the queen of Amish and Christian fiction? What was I supposed to say to her that would even matter?

When it was my turn at the front of the line, I handed her two copies of The Road Home for her to sign (one for me and the other for my sister, who couldn't attend the signing). Lewis signed them and I told her my sister and I would be adding her book to our book club list. She loved hearing that! She was just as nice as I imagined. This was the first time I have ever attended a book signing with a well-known author, so I was a little nervous. But, Beverly Lewis was so nice and appreciative towards her fans...the way every author should be.

This was an amazing adventure and I didn't even need to travel far to enjoy it. It's something I'll always remember. I checked something off my bucket list: attend a book signing with a famous author.

It was an amazing day and I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day. That is what I call a fun adventure!

Until the next adventure...

-KJL-

This photo collage from the book signing was made using PicMonkey (photo/Kasy Long).





Comments

Popular Posts