Inspire Remembrance: Reflecting on 9/11, Twenty Years Later


"What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is our ability to mourn people we've never met." - David Levithan, Author 

Twenty years ago, on September 11, 2001, the world seemed to stop turning. On a clear Tuesday morning, it was a perfect day--until it tragically wasn't. At 8:46 a.m., American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. At the time, witnesses wondered if it was an accident, but everything changed at 9:03 a.m. when American Airlines Flight 175 crashed into the South Tower of the World Trade Center. That's when everyone realized the truth. 

This was not an accident. This was an act of terrorism. We were under attack.

What else was going to happen?

(photo/Los Angeles Fire Department)

Immediately, firefighters and other law enforcement personnel arrived at the World Trade Center. While they realized they probably wouldn't be able to save everyone in the Twin Towers, they had to try. They were heroes. They made an oath to save others, even if it meant losing their lives.

This frantic need for rescue became even more crucial at 9:37 a.m. after American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. Everyone wondered if there were more hijacked airplanes. Were there other targets? While actively watching the news about the World Trade Center, American citizens worried about other potential threats. Were they safe? 

Americans watched as the South Tower suddenly collapsed at 9:59 a.m. They were stunned. This large, strong building came crumbling down less than an hour after it was struck by the hijacked airplane. New York City was covered in a cloud of debris and smoke. Civilians ran for safety, and many of them knew thousands of lives were lost in the collapse. 

At 10:03 a.m., United Airlines Flight 93 crashed in an open field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The passengers decided to fight back against the hijackers, choosing to crash the airplane than for the hijackers to follow through with their next attack. The plane was suspected to be headed toward the White House or U.S. Capitol, but those brave men and women fought back. They saved lives. They made a heroic choice to crash the airplane--knowing they would die--to save others. 

At 10:28 a.m., the North Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed, causing an immense plume of toxic dust and smoke to float throughout Manhattan. In the end, the September 11th attacks caused almost 3,000 fatalities. Nothing was the same. On that day, America changed. 

Forever. 

(photo/US Embassy in Slovakia)

I remember the events of September 11, 2001. I was only six years old at the time, but I recall this day as the first major news event of my life. My parents didn't address the events with me because they didn't want to worry me, but I still saw the news. I saw footage of airplanes flying into the World Trade Center, and even as a young child, I understood what happened. I understood the attacks were significant. I knew innocent people died, and it was a life-changing moment in which I realized life is so precious. Everything can change in an instant. 

"If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate." - Sandy Dahl, wife of United Airlines Flight 93 pilot Jason Dahl 

Like many others, I will always remember September 11, 2001. I remember being confused, and I think this was a time in which both children and adults were confused. No one could believe this was happening. 

My remembrance of 9/11 has been enhanced in recent years as I work on writing a post-9/11 family drama. My work-in-progress novel is about 9/11 and its impact on the families who lost a loved one in the attacks. My book is a tribute to both the victims and their families who are still living in pain and grief 20 years later. My book is for them. 

My book is for the heroes who committed their lives to saving others. My book is for the civilians who woke up on Tuesday, September 11, poured a cup of coffee, kissed their loved ones goodbye, and went to work--just like any other day. My book is for the husbands, wives, sons, daughters, parents, friends, etc., who waited for news--any news--about their loved ones. My book is for all the people who have been affected by this tragedy. 

Twenty years later, we still remember. We remember and we reflect. We will continue to remember them and that day. Remember the pain, the suffering, the loss, and the unity. We will remember. 

Always and forever. 

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts