Weekend Writing: Believing in Your Writing

Write the story of your life. Your story is worth it. Believe in your writing...and yourself. 

These are the lessons I learned this past week at Karen Kingsbury's inaugural Believe Writing Intensive program in Franklin, Tennessee. If you are familiar with my blog, then you probably know I am a fan of Karen Kingsbury's life-changing, inspirational books. I have reviewed her books and I met her in 2018. She is one of my favorite contemporary fiction authors, so when I heard she was hosting an intensive fiction writing program, I knew I couldn't pass up this perfect opportunity. 

Karen Kingsbury's Believe Intensive Writing Program in Franklin, TN.

The program exceeded all of my expectations. It was everything I hoped it would be and more. Equivalent to a college course, the workshop covered multiple areas relevant to novel writing, including: 

  • Determining the genre of your writing
  • Writing a book synopsis and pitches for agents and publishers 
  • Finding your writing voice
  • Knowing your characters
  • Determining your story's conflict and resolution
  • Writing strong character Points-of-View 
  • Writing an unforgettable beginning and ending
  • Show don't tell
  • Writing tight and condensing your writing 
  • Finding your characters' emotions 
  • Finding the right pacing for your story
  • Writing strong dialogue
  • Allegories and metaphors
  • Writing foreshadows and strong transitions
  • Writing strong character arcs 
  • Finding the theme of your story
  • The publishing process
  • How to market your book and your writing 
As you can see, I learned a lot during this intensive program. Kingsbury led each discussion and attendees were allowed to ask her as many questions as necessary. It was a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. When we weren't listening to Kingsbury's advice, we were invited to participate in practicum sessions with fellow writers at our selected tables. 

Karen Kingsbury leading the discussions.

I was very lucky to be surrounded by warm, kind, and talented writers. Their stories were amazing and it was nice to be in the same room as writers who share my same dreams. We encouraged each other. While I believed in their stories, they also believed in my in-progress novel. I know I haven't shared much about my novel on the blog, but it will be a surprise. It'll be worth the wait. I promise! It was wonderful to hear encouraging words from my fellow writers at the conference. 

This also includes Kingsbury. One of the highlights of the program was the opportunity to meet with Kingsbury. I delivered my one-sentence sales pitch and synopsis, and I'm thrilled to share that she enjoyed my idea! She encouraged me to keep writing, and she also offered advice on how to strengthen the characters' development. I feel more motivated to revise my novel. It's an experience I will always cherish. 

Meeting Karen Kingsbury.

While I learned more about novel writing and how to publish a novel, the program was also an important lesson: Write the story you were born to write. Write the story God placed on my heart. Even if you find success, always be humble and kind. Always remember that we are not more important than anyone else. Always take time to listen to others and the stories in their heart. 

The intensive program educated me about writing, but I am thankful for the lessons on how to improve my personal character, as well. I will continue to be impacted by these lessons. I am going to work on my novel while remembering that this is the story I am meant to write. This is the book I am supposed to write. My story is worth it, and I must always believe in this. I must always believe in myself. 

Karen Kingsbury's Believe Writing Intensive Program. 

Thank you, Karen Kingsbury, for offering this program! Thank you for the lessons and the inspirational advice. Also, thank you for believing in my story and my passion as a writer. I know I have to write the bestseller of my life. I'm working on it, and this program was the next step to pursuing my dreams. 

Readers, like always, I will take you along this journey. Maybe it will inspire you to write the bestseller of your life, as well. Believe in yourself. Believe in your writing. It's worth it. Your dreams are always worth it. 

Write on. 

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts