Inspire New Recipes for Fall 2020

It's the fall season, which means I have been enjoying warm, delicious comfort food that brings out natural fruits and vegetables (pumpkins, squash, and apples) associated with the season. I add these flavors to traditional recipes, like soups, casseroles, desserts, and more. 

Fall is the season to eat comfort food. It's getting cooler outdoors, and for many people, it can be a difficult transition. I have been struggling with this transition to the fall season more than normal, and I don't know if that's because this year has been a whirlwind already. I loved the warm summer months and I'm not ready for the cold temperatures. 

But I am ready for the fall comfort food. I'm craving the irresistible food that instantly warms me up. I encourage you to take a chance and try these five recipes I have been enjoying this season. They'll add some comfort to your kitchen, which is exactly what we need right now. 

1. Creamy Vegetable Soup 

During the cooler months, there is nothing quite like cooking a hearty bowl of hot soup. It helps you when you're feeling under the weather, and there's plenty for the entire family. This creamy vegetable soup is pure comfort food. It's loaded with your favorite vegetables (including broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and corn), bacon, and cheese, combined with a rich creamy broth that's hard to resist. 

The soup reminds me of a corn chowder recipe, but it's also similar to a classic broccoli or potato soup recipe. If you're a fan of these soups, you'll want to try this new recipe (inspired by Valentina's Corner) that tastes like a farmer's market inside your soup bowl. It will become a staple in your home. Trust me on this. 

  • 8 oz. bacon, cooked
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 2 c. medium broccoli florets
  • 4 potatoes, cubed
  • 32 oz. chicken broth
  • 1 c. water 
  • 1 c. corn (canned or frozen) 
  • 2 c. milk (I used skim milk.)
  • 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tsp. salt, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese 
Cube the bacon and cook in a large pot with a thick bottom. Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the pot and set aside. You can leave the bacon grease in the pot. 

Slice the carrot and cut the broccoli into medium florets. Cube the potatoes into even-sized cubes and add to a bowl of water to keep from browning. Set aside. 

In the large pot, saute the carrots until they're tender. Pour in the chicken broth, water, and add the potato cubes. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are just about cooked. Stir in the corn and broccoli florets and cook until the broccoli is fully cooked. 

Whisk together the milk and flour and add to the pot, along with the salt and pepper. Turn to low heat, and add the bacon back into the pot with the cheese. Cook until the cheese completely melts, stirring frequently. Serve warm. Enjoy! 

2. S'mores Puppy Chow


Puppy chow is mostly a Midwestern treat. So, if you have never had puppy chow before, I'm sorry. You're missing out on a delicious snack. Good news! You can make puppy chow at home and try it yourself. You won't be disappointed. 

One of my favorite fall activities is having a bonfire with my family. I love to roast marshmallows over the flames and make s'mores. It's the perfect fall treat. So, I was excited to try this recipe for s'mores puppy chow from Lil' Luna. It combines puppy chow and s'mores--two treats that instantly go well together. I added my own variation to the recipe, and I invite you to try it if you're looking for a new snack to eat this season. 
  • 1/2 c. chocolate spread (I used Nutella.)
  • 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips (an additional 1/2 cup for later)
  • 1 c. mini marshmallows (an additional 1/2 cup for later)
  • 4 c. Golden Graham cereal (an additional 1 cup for later)
  • 3 c. Chex cereal 
  • 1 c. powdered sugar 
  • 1/3 c. Graham cracker chunks (about 2 sheets) 
In a large mixing bowl, combine the chocolate spread and chocolate chips. Place in the microwave and melt for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat this process three times. Once the chocolate is nice and smooth, fold in the Golden Graham and Chex cereal. 

Transfer the cereal to a large Ziploc bag. Add the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake to coat the cereal with the sugar. 

Toss in a large bowl, along with the additional ingredients (chocolate chips, Golden Graham cereal, mini marshmallows, and Graham cracker chunks). Enjoy! 

3. Apple Orchard Chicken


Apple is one of my favorite fall ingredients. It's perfect to add to desserts, but it can be added to basically any recipe this season, including chicken. I recently tried a recipe for apple orchard chicken from Wini Moranville's cookbook, The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family. The cookbook features recipes for food and drinks mentioned in Louisa May Alcott's famous 1868 novel, Little Women. 

Of course, when I saw this cookbook, I knew I had to buy it. Little Women is one of my favorite books of all time, and I love cookbooks and trying new recipes. So, combining my love for literature with my love for food...Yeah, I'm always interested in that. 

This recipe for apple orchard chicken is delicious! It uses apples and apple juice to make a creamy, sweet-tinged sauce for your chicken. Jo March loves apples and reading on the perch of her old apple tree, so she would approve of this dinner meal. 
  • 4 thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb.) 
  • Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 c. apple juice 
  • 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 small apples, such as Gala, Jonathan, or Cortland, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
  • 1/2 c. milk (I used skim milk.)
  • 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley 
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, patting off the excess. 

In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until the chicken is brown and cooked through. This should take about six to eight minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. 

Add the broth, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar to the skillet, taking care not to let the liquid splatter. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. 

Add the apples and thyme. Let the mixture boil, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. This should take about five minutes. 

Stir in the cream and boil gently until the sauce thickens and the apples are crisp-tender. This should take about three minutes. Arrange the chicken on your dinner plate, spoon the sauce and apples over the chicken, sprinkle with the parsley, and serve warm with a side of your choice. Enjoy! 

4. Amish Peanut Butter Spread 


When I was younger, there was an Amish-style restaurant near my grandparents' home. It was a tradition to meet family members there for special gatherings. Occasionally, we met our grandpa there for lunch, especially after our grandma passed away. Many meals were spent at the restaurant, where we gathered around the table and shared stories. The food was delicious, homemade, and it offered the best comfort food you could crave: fried chicken, creamy mashed potatoes, warm dinner rolls, etc. 

But out of all of these delicious food offerings, I loved the peanut butter spread the most. This is phenomenal! It's sweet and it's perfect to spread on a slice of homemade bread. I could probably eat the spread right out of the jar if I could. It's THAT good! Whenever my mother went to have lunch with my grandpa while I was at school, I asked her to bring home a jar of the peanut butter spread. I couldn't resist it! 

Unfortunately, this restaurant is sadly no longer in business. It closed when I was in college and I missed out on the opportunity to have my last meal there. I never got to have my last jar of the peanut butter spread. Then, in 2015, my grandpa passed away, and something that I really wanted--something that I really, really needed while I was hurting--was the peanut butter spread. It represents the meals I shared with him at the restaurant, and I really wanted that peanut butter spread. 

This year, I finally tried making my own version of the spread. I took one bite of it and I was instantly brought back to my childhood. It tasted just like the sweet spread I always loved. Isn't it amazing how food can sometimes bring back so many memories? Today, I'm thankful for this bread and spread. I'm thankful for the restaurant that inspired this all. Lastly, I'm thankful for my family for having these precious memories to begin with. 
  • 2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract 
  • 2 c. creamy peanut butter
  • 7 oz. jar marshmallow creme 
In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water, and light corn syrup. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the peanut butter, marshmallow creme, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until the ingredients are well-combined. Slowly add in the brown sugar mixture. Beat on medium speed until the spread is fluffy. This will take about two minutes. Spread this on a slice of warm bread and enjoy! 

NOTE: You can store this spread in the refrigerator for up to three months. You can have this whenever you want! 



5. Pumpkin Bread w/Maple Syrup Glaze 


Could I really celebrate the fall season without a pumpkin-flavored recipe? No, I didn't think so! I love baking pumpkin bread in the fall. It's a simple, yet delicious, moist treat that I especially love to eat for breakfast. 

Recently, I found a recipe (from Cake Whiz) that added a sweet maple syrup glaze. It takes the dessert to the next level. I'll never want plain pumpkin bread ever again. 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree (15-oz. can)
  • 1 box Spice cake mix 
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, optional 
  • 1/4 c. maple syrup 
  • 1 c. powdered sugar 
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and pumpkin puree until smooth. Add the cake mix and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix. 

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9x5" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool completely at room temperature. 

While the bread is cooling, prepare the maple syrup glaze by mixing together the maple syrup and powdered sugar in a small bowl until it's smooth and glossy. Drizzle the glaze on top of the pumpkin bread. Let the glaze set for about 10 minutes and then slice to serve. Enjoy! 

---

Try something new this season to bring warmth and comfort to your home and kitchen. Maybe you have never considered combining maple syrup with pumpkin bread. Maybe you have never heard of apple orchard chicken, or trying a sweet peanut butter spread. 

With every season, there is always a new opportunity to enjoy delicious food with family and friends. These five dishes are ones you definitely don't want to miss. I hope you enjoy them and I hope they provide delicious flavors to your meals this season. 

Until next time...

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts