Weekend Writing: Reviewing Priyasi Das's "Verse of Emotions"

Priyasi Das's new collection, Verse of Emotions (photo/Priyasi Das).

"Perfection is not everything that matters. It's our passion which inspires us in our journey." - Priyasi Das, "Verse of Emotions" 

Sometimes, we just need to read a brief, easy-to-understand collection that requires only 15 to 20 minutes of our free time. It might not take long to read, but the words are still very impactful. That's what I found in Priyasi Das's new collection, Verse of Emotions: A Book of Quotes & Nano Tales

The collection features inspirational quotes, thoughts, and nano tales (very brief stories) that are intended to represent human beauty and the reality of emotions that comes from imagination. The quotes and nano tales are based on Das's personal reflections, but they're relevant to all readers who are in desperate need of inspiration and understanding the truth of their emotions. 

The collection's 20 quotes range in topics on love, personal growth, societal standards, social issues, imagination, and many other thematic interests. Readers can quickly browse through the quotes whenever they need a dose of inspiration. There's a quotation for every mood and feeling, and that's what makes this collection so impactful for readers. 

"Pain gives us the strength to fight and stand back, whereas happiness brings out the best in us and helps us in utilizing our ambitions." 

"The world loves praising the negativity because they don't wonder to applause positivity." 

"Sometimes, all we need is inspiration to uplift our emotions with appreciation." 

"Be passionate about your work and let your inner beauty bring out the creativity." 

Das's collection only contains five brief nano tales, with the majority of them focusing on eternal love and conversations between male and female characters. I wish there were more nano tales included in the collection to create a balance in the book. There are 20 quotes but only five nano tales. I was expecting more nano tales, but I must be content with the ones provided in the collection. 

The nano tales are easy to read, but they focus on important, meaningful topics every reader can relate to as they read the collection. They build on the topics explored in the quotations section of the collection, which makes for a pleasant reading experience. 

It's evident Das--an internationally published poet and writer based in Kolkata, India--poured out her emotions in this collection. She used quotes she probably recites to herself on a daily basis--words that inspire her and her writing. She carefully crafted these delicate words in a collection in order to inspire others. This is a book readers can read at any time--even if it's turning to a specific quote or nano tale when they need a reminder of the value of their emotions. 

A Conversation with Priyasi Das 

Das invited me to read and review her new collection. Because of this, I asked her various questions to learn more about her creative process while working on the collection. Sometimes, the best way to learn about a writer's craft is to have an engaging conversation with them. As you will notice, Das is passionate about articulating human emotions in order to inspire others to be more aware of their feelings. For this, we must thank the poet. 

Priyasi Das (photo/Priyasi Das)

KJL: What was the inspiration behind this new collection? 
PD: My thoughts inspired me to write this short book. Everyday life inspires me to write more and more, and to bring out the best in myself through my writing. 

KJL: I particularly enjoy that this book consists of quotes and nano tales. What was your thought process while creating the book? Why did you choose to feature quotes and nano tales, as opposed to writing another poetry collection? 
PD: I wanted to keep this book short yet crisp. I love writing thin books rather than thick collections. The beauty of less writing seems eternal. I have read and written many books. Most of the books are based on fictional characters, novels, poetry, etc. So, this time, I thought of implementing something unique for my readers. Although I love poetry collections, this collection of quotes and nano tales is always good for a quick read. 

KJL: Many of the quotes apply to the general public--as though they are lessons on how we can grow and change. They're not geared towards a specific group, but to anyone who could be reading them. They're important life lessons geared towards personal growth. What is your intention with the quotes? Why are they included in the collection? 
PD: I want my readers to feel the emotion and beauty of the deep thoughts which we see around us every day. The quotes are brief, yet they're deep and filled with various emotions. I have included all of my thoughts which I see about myself. 

KJL: Do you have a favorite quote from the collection? Is there one you find yourself quoting on a daily basis? 
PD: "Slay everything, staying simple." That's my favorite quote because I can relate it to myself just about every day. 

KJL: The nano tales are short, simple, yet they're very thought-provoking. Why did you choose to include nano tales in the collection? 
PD: Nano tales always portray deep thoughts. I love writing nano tales because it's not at all easy to write one. One needs to implement their thoughts very specifically to write them. 

KJL: Let's talk about the title of the collection: "Verse of Emotions." As the title suggests, the collection dives into a variety of emotions. Basically, there's a quote or nano tale for every emotion or feeling a reader might have. What do you hope your readers gain from reading your collection? What emotions do you hope they feel while reading your work? 
PD: I hope that my readers can relate to the importance of life through my quotes--as they depict various eternal emotions. I have received almost 45 positive reviews for this book and every reader has loved reading it because they can relate to the truth of our society expressed in the book. 

KJL: You seem passionate about inspiring others with your words. You also seem passionate about articulating human emotions in your writing. Are there other passions I haven't mentioned that you would like to add? What are your personal goals with your writing? 
PD: Passion is all about inspiration and authors like us always get inspired by reviewers and readers. I just want people to love the beauty of literature through every author's words. My personal goal for writing is to write more and more, and to always give my best writing to my readers. 

KJL: Finally, are you working on another collection that my readers should know about? 
PD: Yes, I have already published another new book, Poetic Rhythms, which is a collection of 20 short poems. The eBook is free for every reader. A paperback version is available on Amazon

A collection of Priyasi Das's books (photo/Priyasi Das).

---

Priyasi Das succeeded her goal of encouraging others to love the beauty of literature in this new collection. The cover art (designed by Das) entices readers, and the brief book is the perfect length for a quick read. You can turn to this book whenever you are craving for some inspiration. 

In these challenging times we're facing today, we could use as much inspiration as possible. Das's words remind us that we're never alone. 

-KJL-


Comments

Popular Posts