Weekend Writing: Father's Day Poems


Fathers are special. They're strong, protective, caring, funny, smart, and they always know just what to say to make a situation better. They impact us in real life and also in literature. Last year, I shared a list of the most memorable fathers in literature. They shape their children's lives and they're often the hero, making us love them more and more. 

Fathers have also been represented in poetry. Poets reflect on fond memories with their fathers. In return, some poets write about their memories of being fathers and raising children. Fathers should be celebrated in all forms, including in heartfelt poems. 

In honor of Father's Day this weekend, I'm featuring five poems about fathers. Share these encouraging, heartwarming poems with the fathers in your life, especially if you're unable to celebrate the holiday with them this year. Share these words with them anyway and let them know you care. Happy Father's Day! 

1. "A Boy and His Dad" - Edgar Albert Guest 

A boy and his dad on a fishing trip--
There is a glorious fellowship! 
Father and son and the open sky
and the white clouds lazily drifting by, 
and the laughing stream as it runs along
with the clicking reel like a martial song, 
and the father teaching the youngster gay
how to land a fish in the sportsman's way. 

I fancy I hear them talking there 
in an open boat, and the speech is fair. 
And the boy is learning the ways of men 
from the finest man in his youthful ken. 
Kings, to the youngster, cannot compare 
with the gentle father who's with him there. 
And the greatest mind of the human race 
not for one minute could take his place. 

Which is happier, man or boy? 
The soul of the father is steeped in joy,
for he's finding out, to his heart's delight, 
that his son is fit for the future fight. 
He is learning the glorious depths of him, 
and the thoughts he thinks and his every whim; 
and he shall discover, when night comes on, 
how close he has grown to his little son. 

A boy and his dad on a fishing trip--
Builders of life's companionship! 
Oh, I envy them, as I see them there 
under the sky in the open air, 
for out of the old, old long-ago 
come the summer days that I used to know, 
when I learned life's truths from my father's lips 
as I shared the joy of his fishing trips. 

2. "My Pa" - J. Patrick Lewis 

Emma Wallace, 23 
Farm Hand
Seymour, Iowa 

I came hungry 
into the world, 
and for that, 
look no further
than my Pa. 
A history buff 
and a small-p
poet, he built 
so many book-
shelves, our house 
became the local
lending library.
At least to those few
who knew a book
to be a friend. 

3. "His Stillness" - Sharon Olds 

The doctor said to my father, "You asked me
to tell you when nothing more could be done.
That's what I'm telling you now." My father
sat quite still, as he always did,
especially not moving his eyes. I had thought
he would rave if he understood he would die,
wave his arms and cry out. He sat up, 
thin, and clean, in his clean gown,
like a holy man. The doctor said, 
"There are things we can do which might give you time,
but we cannot cure you." My father said, 
"Thank you." And he sat, motionless, alone,
with the dignity of a foreign leader. 
I sat beside him. This was my father.
He had known he was mortal. I had feared they would have to
tie him down. I had not remembered 
he had always held still and kept quiet to bear things, 
the liquor a way to keep still. I had not 
known him. My father had dignity. At the 
end of his life his life began
to wake in me. 

4. "Father's Song" - Gregory Orr 

Yesterday, against admonishment, 
my daughter balanced on the couch back,
fell and cut her mouth.

Because I saw it happen I knew 
she was not hurt, and yet 
a child's blood so red 
it stops a father's heart. 

My daughter cried her tears; 
I held some ice 
against her lip. 
That was the end of it. 

Round and round: bow and kiss. 
I try to teach her caution; 
she tries to teach me risk. 

5. "My Daddy" - Charleigh Graham 

My Daddy is a mountain.
My Daddy is a sea.
My Daddy smiles again and again.
I love my Daddy and I know he loves me. 
'Cause my Daddy is a ray of light that warms a 
winter's eve. 
My Daddy is very special to me. 
I could not live without my Daddy as he could
not live without me. 

---

I'll keep it simple: Happy Father's Day! Have a lovely weekend, celebrating the fathers or fatherly figures in your life. Fathers are very special and they deserve to be celebrated! 

-KJL-



Comments

Popular Posts