Inspire Celebration: A Letter to Graduates



Three years ago, on May 14, 2017, I graduated from college. I gathered with my peers, professors, and university administrators to celebrate our success. It was a day filled with mixed emotions. Of course, I was happy to be finished with my degree and move on to my professional career, but it was also incredibly sad to say goodbye. 

I went to college out of state. I attended a close-knit, private liberal arts university in Ohio that was my home away from home for four years. I met my best friends, got involved in student activities from the very first day, had close relationships with professors and my peers, and I grew as an individual in ways I didn't expect. It's cliche to say that college is "the best years of your life," but in many ways, my college experience was some of the best years of my life. I had so much fun with my friends. I learned more than I could have imagined. Finally, I felt comfortable in my own skin. 

My college roommates/best friends. 

College is an important time for everyone. Nothing can change that, and nothing--even this pandemic--can take away those experiences. As I reflect on the three-year anniversary of my college graduation, I am heartbroken for the graduates (both college and high school) who don't get to walk across a stage, accept their diploma, and celebrate this milestone achievement with their friends and family. 

A milestone achievement. 

That's what a graduation ceremony represents. It means you successfully completed your education and you're earning a degree. You reached the endzone in your journey as an academic student. You worked hard, spent countless hours (especially late at night) studying and writing papers, and it all ends with a celebratory ceremony. 

You deserve that day to celebrate your accomplishment. For many high school and college graduates, they are the first person in their family to graduate. For others, they're continuing a legacy. They worked hard, made long-lasting friendships, and it should end with a ceremony. It should end with a day that celebrates you. 

(photo/The Printery House)


But it's not happening right now. Graduations are canceled and held virtually. While you're still earning your degree and you'll receive a diploma in the mail, it's not the same. I know this because I was fortunate to have my college commencement ceremony. I was fortunate to have a day where I celebrated our successes with my peers, professors, and family. I had that opportunity, and it's a day I will always remember. 

My college graduation from Ohio Northern University. 


This year's graduates don't have that experience. They won't be able to look back and remember a high school or college graduation like the rest of us. They won't get to wear their cap and gown, walk across a stage, receive their diploma, and smile for the crowd. They won't get to socialize and say goodbye to their friends and teachers for one last time. They won't get to have these final precious moments, and it's sad. 

It's okay to be sad about this. It's okay to be frustrated that your educational experience doesn't get to end the same way it did for others. It's okay to be disappointed and feel like you were short-changed on something very important. For parents, they don't get to watch their child walk across the stage. They have waited for this moment just as long as the students. It's okay to be upset. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.

But, you can still celebrate. You are graduating. You are moving on to something new and exciting, whatever it may be. Whether it's college or a new job, your graduation (even though it's virtual) symbolizes a conclusion. You're moving on to new experiences that will (hopefully) make up for the difficult times we've had this spring. You have your diploma; you have your degree. You're going to be okay. 

(photo/Pinterest)


Your graduation may not be how you planned, but it does not take away the memories you created in school. Don't let this virtual graduation replace all of those memories. You still had a great high school or college experience. You still had four years you will never forget. It's ending differently, but it does not get to take away those memories and the people you met along the way. 

Celebrate your graduation...in whatever way you can during this time. Celebrate your successes and your milestone achievement. Celebrate your memories and how much you changed over the past four years. Celebrate the good; don't focus on the bad. In 10-20 years, you'll want to remember only the good. 

Congratulations on your graduation! You made it. 

-KJL-



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts