Inspire Reflection: 2019 in Review



It's hard to believe that we have already arrived at the end of another calendar year. It doesn't feel like it was that long ago when I was reflecting on the events in 2018, but alas, here we are again: already moving on to 2020 and an entirely new decade.

As I prepare to ring in 2020, I'm taking the time to reflect on 2019. This year has brought many adventures and positive memories. I evolved more as an individual. I changed but in a very good way. In the best way possible, in fact.

This was a year of adventures. 

Life is all about adventures, whether they are vacations or mini-celebrations. This year, I traveled to Nashville, Tennessee to attend shows at the Grand Ole Opry (where I got to see Luke Combs invited to be a member of the Grand Ole Opry). We stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center and relaxed at the resort's new waterpark, SoundWaves. I explored more of Nashville by visiting Reese Witherspoon's beautiful boutique, Draper James. I fell more in love with the city of Nashville and its vibrant culture. We plan to travel to Nashville once again in 2020, and I already can't wait.



In addition, I also traveled to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for a family vacation. I enjoyed eating delicious, southern food. We explored the gorgeous Smoky Mountains, and I loved how I spent the whole week with my family. I love having the opportunity to go on adventures and make memories with the people I love most.


This was a year of concerts. 

If I could describe the year 2019 with a few words, music would be one of them. Apart from going to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, I also attended two concerts: a Carrie Underwood concert in June and a Backstreet Boys concert in September.

First, Carrie Underwood was amazing! She definitely knows how to entertain. She sang about love ("Love Wins"), loss ("See You Again"), faith ("Something in the Water"), and always having strength. She sang a nice mix of her old songs ("Before He Cheats") and her new songs ("Cry Pretty"). It was an unbelievable show!

One of the highlights of the concert was when she (and Runaway June and Maddie & Tae) performed a medley of songs by some of the most influential female country music artists: Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton, Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and many more. It was amazing! If you haven't seen Carrie Underwood in concert, I definitely recommend it. She's fabulous in every way!



However, the Backstreet Boys concert was the best concert I have ever attended. Period. End of story. They were AMAZING! I knew the Backstreet Boys were going to be a good show, but I had no idea it was going to be a whole production. The concert was three hours of nonstop fun.

The '90s boy band had a Las Vegas residency show and that's what the concert felt like: a magical show of entertainment. From the choreography to the lights to the backdrops, everything was perfect. It was nonstop fun all night long. Anyone who thinks the Backstreet Boys are "washed up" and "too old," well...You're wrong. You're very, very wrong. They kept us on our feet the whole night and I fell in love with their music again. But really, did I ever stop loving their music? No, of course not.


This was a year of learning. 

At the beginning of the year, one of my goals for 2019 was to attend a writing conference. I successfully "checked" that goal off my list. In March, I attended the Indiana Writers Center's 2019 Gathering of Writers conference held in Indianapolis, IN. It was a small gathering of writers from all backgrounds, including professional and published writers, college students, and writers who have a full-time job but love to write as a hobby. It didn't matter what stage you were at--whether you were just starting out as a writer or you're an experienced professional. Everyone was there to learn more about creative writing and to discuss our passions as a community. I loved every second of the conference! I can't wait to attend the 2020 conference.



This year, I also learned more about myself. I learned more about who I am as an individual and who I want to be in the future. I strive to continue to learn and grow as a person. Isn't that what I'm supposed to do? I'm learning more about my career as a freelance writer. I'm learning more about finding my place in the world. This is the season in my life to learn who I am and to accept the changes that may come my way.

This was a year of peace. 

The year 2019 brought peace and happiness. While there were hardships, felt both near and far in our world, 2019 was still an exciting year. I felt peaceful and comfortable in my own skin. I expect there will be even more adventures, opportunities, and ways for me to learn and grow in the future. It brings me more peace that I'm making memories and I'm striving for greatness. Whatever happens in 2020, I'm ready. Let the adventure begin!



I hope all of you had a wonderful year. There's more to come in 2020! As always, I will happily share my adventures along the way on this little place on the Internet I am happy to always call "KJL's Diary."

Happy New Year!

-KJL-




Comments

Popular Posts