Weekend Writing: Read Like Rory Gilmore



Yesterday was National Book Lovers Day. Celebrated annually on August 9, the unofficial holiday encourages bibliophiles (like myself) to celebrate their love for books. Where would we be without reading and literature? According to Stephen King, "Books are a uniquely portable magic."

(photo/The Sassologist)

That is exactly how I feel about books; they're portable magic. Books can transport you anywhere in the world, where you can do anything you desire and you don't even have to leave your house to do so. You can watch Atticus Finch defend Tom Robinson, sail a raft with Huck and Jim, meet Anna Karenina, attend one of Jay Gatsby's glamorous parties, and fall in love with Mr. Darcy--over and over again.

Books allow us to be free. They give us power. I love reading and I'm very thankful books are a part of my life. I can't imagine my life without them. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. Every bookworm shares a love for reading; it's like a drug we can't get enough of.

This includes Rory Gilmore, the fictional character in the popular 2000s comedy-drama series, Gilmore Girls. The series is one of my favorite shows of all time. I love the bond between Lorelai and Rory, and Rory is a beloved character of mine for a variety of reasons. She's relatable, partly because she is a fellow bookaholic. She's frequently seen reading on the show, and she loves to discuss books. She stores books under her bed, above her desk, inside her dresser drawers, etc. She brings a book with her everywhere. It's her habit. She can't get enough of reading, and I share this sentiment.

Alexis Bledel as Rory Gilmore in "Gilmore Girls" (photo/Modern Mrs. Darcy).

"I live in two worlds. One is a world of books." - Rory Gilmore 

I love to read like Rory Gilmore--being so engrossed in reading that she isn't even aware of a fight breaking out in front of her. She gets lost in a good book, and I love to get enthralled in a favorite book, as well. That's why I'm sharing the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. The link will list all 339 books referenced on Gilmore Girls. These are the novels Rory Gilmore knows and loves. I have read several of these books, but I still have a long way to go. It's my goal to be as well-read as Rory. She always has a new book in her hands.

(photo/Tumblr)

How many books on the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge have you read? I encourage you to stay off of social media this weekend and read. Check off more books from the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. These books deserve to be read, and they deserve to be loved.

Be a reader and love these books (and more). Read like Rory Gilmore. She's not a bad role model to have.

Read on!

-KJL-

(photo/Bustle)


Comments

Popular Posts