Inspire New Recipes for Winter 2019



I live in the Midwestern region of the United States. The winter season is unpredictable. You don't know if you will receive snowstorm after snowstorm, or if you'll be able to wear capri pants in February. It's a fickle time of the year. One day, the temperature is frigid and it hurts to breathe outdoors, and the next day it's warm and sunny. Mother Nature is a stubborn woman. She can never seem to make up her mind. But that's winter for you. You can't live with it, but it's sometimes difficult to live without the changing season.

I've been attempting new recipes this winter season. Instead of venturing outdoors on the cold, snowy days, I'm staying inside, where it's always warm and toasty. I have indulged in foods I know I love: soup, pasta, bread, casseroles, and more. 

Comfort food makes everything better. It heals you when you're sick, provides heat on warm winter days, and it simply makes you happy. Everyone has foods they crave, especially when you're stuck inside in the middle of a blizzard. 

I invite you to try the foods I have been craving this winter season. Take a chance with these comfort recipes. Share them with your friends and you might inspire them to try the dishes, too. 

Welcome to my kitchen. 

1. My Grandma's Meatloaf 

My grandma's famous meatloaf recipe (photo/Kasy Long).
When I said, "Welcome to my kitchen," I should have really said, "Welcome to my grandma's kitchen." So many of my favorite dishes are inspired by her hand-me-down recipes I have stored away in my kitchen. Her delicious meatloaf recipe is no different. It's comfort food at its finest. Whenever it's chilly outside, my grandma's meatloaf doesn't just satisfy your taste buds, but it warms your body with its steamy flavors.

To prepare this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:

  • 1 lb. lean ground beef 
  • 1 egg
  • 8-10 crushed saltine crackers 
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used skim milk, but you can use whichever you prefer.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
My grandma's meatloaf, paired with mashed potatoes,
carrots, peas, and corn (photo/Kasy Long).
First, mix the egg, cracker crumbs, milk, and pepper in a medium-sized mixing bowl with the ground beef. Stir thoroughly. If you notice the mixture is too dry, add more milk. Then, if there's too much liquid, add more cracker crumbs until you've arrived at your desired texture. 

Form the meat mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour in approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water around the meatloaf in the pan before baking. Then, bake in a 350-degree oven for approximately 50 to 60 minutes. 

Our meatloaf sauce is a family tradition. Most people simply pour ketchup on top of meatloaf and call it a day. Well, my grandma took it up a notch and mixed 1/2 cup of ketchup with 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Stir until well combined. This mixture is sweet and a little tangy, and it will pair well with the meatloaf. Trust me. 

When the meatloaf has baked for approximately 40 minutes, add the sauce. Take a fork and poke a few holes into the top of the meatloaf. Spread the sauce on top evenly. Allow the meatloaf to finish baking. The sauce should be a smooth glaze. 

We always pair our meatloaf with warm, delicious mashed potatoes and roasted carrots. This is a comforting meal on any winter day. Enjoy! 

2. Asiago Bisque 

Asiago bisque (photo/Kasy Long)
Soup is a necessity in the winter season. Can you really survive the long winter months without preparing soup? I didn't think so. Recently, I discovered a recipe for asiago bisque from Nikki at her blog, Chef in Training. Now, I adore asiago cheese. So, when I discovered this recipe, I knew I had to try it and maybe add my own variation to Nikki's recipe. 

Needless to say, I was pleased with the results. This soup is filling, delicious and is a different variation to your ordinary bowl of soup. It's something different to try on a chilly winter day. So, what are you waiting for? 

To prepare this soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients: 
  • 3 cups chopped carrots 
  • 1 cup chopped celery 
  • 6 Tablespoons butter
  • 4 cups of chopped and peeled potatoes, cut into small bite-sized pieces
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups milk (Again, I used skim milk.)
  • 2 cups shredded Asiago cheese (You can also use Parmesan or cheddar cheese, if preferred.)
  • Bacon bits 
 First, in a large cooking pot, melt butter and saute the celery and carrots until they're nice and tender. Add the potatoes and chicken stock. Cover and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Then, add the milk and cook for another five minutes. 

Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Asiago cheese. Continue stirring until the soup is creamy and smooth. Garnish your soup bowl with bacon bits, crackers, and extra cheese. Enjoy! 

3. Chicken Roll-Ups 

Chicken roll-ups (photo/Kasy Long)
Everyone needs creamy, savory chicken roll-ups in their life. If you love pasta, you'll simply devour this recipe, inspired by Des and Kadee at their blog, Oh So Delicioso. This pasta dish resembles enchiladas, except it's prepared with pasta noodles instead of tortillas. The sauce is creamy and has bits of bell peppers and tomatoes. It's simply wonderful and will immediately comfort you this winter season.

To prepare this dish, you will need the following ingredients: 
  • 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded 
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced 
  • 1/4 cup diced tomatoes 
  • 5 Tablespoons flour 
  • 4 cups chicken broth 
  • 1/4 cup milk (Again, I used skim milk.)
  • 3 cups mozzarella cheese
  • 12 cooked lasagna noodles 
In a large skillet, add the butter, bell pepper, and diced tomatoes. Saute over medium-low heat until the vegetables are softened. Then, turn up heat to medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for a few more minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. 

When the sauce is thickened to your preferred consistency (everyone is different, after all), turn off the heat and add the milk. You can add up to 1/2 cup of milk if you prefer a creamy sauce. 

Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Then, mix the shredded chicken and about 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese in a small mixing bowl. Lay out the lasagna noodles and spread the cheese and shredded chicken over the noodles. Roll the noodles up and place in the baking pan. 

Pour the remaining creamy sauce over the lasagna noodles. If you prefer, add the final cup of mozzarella cheese to the top of the noodles for the cheesiest pasta dish you'll ever make. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until the lasagna noodles are hot and bubbling. Enjoy! 

Chicken roll-ups (photo/Kasy Long)

4. Scalloped Potatoes 

Scalloped potatoes (photo/Kasy Long)
Ah, potatoes. I don't care if people tell me we shouldn't eat potatoes. They're just too delicious to resist! That includes this recipe for scalloped potatoes. The potatoes are creamy, warm, and make for the best casserole dish you need this winter season. 

I have to credit the Griffiths Family Recipes cookbook for inspiring this recipe. Thank you for welcoming me into your kitchen during this season of life. 

To prepare this recipe, you will need the following ingredients: 
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 Tablespoons flour 
  • 3 cups milk (Again, I used skim milk.)
  • 6 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced. 
In a large saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Add the milk and continue stirring until the sauce has reached a creamy consistency. Set the mixture aside. 

Add the peeled and sliced potatoes to a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour the creamy mixture over the top of the potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for approximately an hour, or until the potatoes are nice and tender. Enjoy! 

I didn't choose the potato life. The potato life chose me. 

5. Golden Grahams Bars 

Golden Grahams bars (photo/Kasy Long)
When I was in college, my university's student dining hall offered Golden Grahams bars probably once a semester. It was on a rare occasion they had the crunchy, sweet dessert bars. So, whenever this special opportunity happened, well, I took about five of the bars back with me to my dorm room. 

Ah, the memories...

So, when I stumbled upon a recipe for Golden Grahams bars on Pinterest (by blogger Lindsay at Pinch of Yum), I knew I had to try them. The dessert satisfies everything you could want. They're crunchy, sticky, and very sweet. Oh, and they're super easy to make. Don't believe me? Try them yourself! 

To prepare this delicious dessert, you will need the following ingredients: 
  • 6 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, if preferred)
  • 1 bag of mini marshmallows 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1 12-oz. box of Golden Grahams cereal 
First, set one cup of the mini marshmallows aside. To prepare the chocolate mixture, melt the butter, chocolate chips, vanilla, and remaining mini marshmallows in a large cooking pot over medium heat. Melt until the mixture is slightly smooth. Then, add in the Golden Grahams cereal and remaining one cup of mini marshmallows. Stir to combine. 

Remove from the heat and press into a 9x13 pan. Allow the bars to cool and solidify for an hour or two. Then, cut the bars and devour them. Trust me; you won't be disappointed.

Golden Grahams bars (photo/Kasy Long)

---

It's fun to try something new every now and then. There are so many options to choose from this winter season. I know I'm not the only blogger who is inviting you into her kitchen, but maybe you'll feel inspired to try these recipes. Maybe you'll love my grandma's meatloaf just as much as we do. Or, maybe you'll discover a new pasta or soup dish you'll just have to try. There's no better feeling than sitting down at your dining room table with a warm, steamy dish, sniffing the aroma, and the heat immediately warms your body and brightens your mood. 

If you make any of these dishes, feel free to share your pictures with me on social media on Facebook (@kjlsdiary), Twitter (@kjlwriter), or Instagram (@kjlsdiary). Prepare the dishes you love this winter season and that's all that matters. 

-KJL-

Comments

  1. Very interesting

    https://shivoykumar.blogspot.com/2019/01/coming-to-india-kia.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts