Inspire Great Music for Winter 2019



We are officially at the midway point of the winter season. It has been a long tradition for bloggers to reflect on the winter season and to write about what is "saving" them this season. What's making them happy? What's helping them get through the dreadful winter blues? What are they looking forward to when spring will eventually arrive?

It's very fitting I am writing this post today because the Midwest is experiencing a "polar vortex" storm with record-low temperatures. I haven't left my house today and I'm not ashamed. I'm wearing sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and drinking plenty of hot chocolate to stay warm during this storm. It's cold--very cold. The last time I experienced temperatures this low was when I was a college student in northwest Ohio. 

But what am I happy about? What's saving me this season? What's helping me get through this dreadful winter storm? 

(photo/Pinterest)
Music. 

For as long as I can remember, music has been a saving grace in my life. Music connects our family. My Papaw played the fiddle and a variety of other instruments. My aunts were music teachers. My mom played the piano. My siblings and I inherited our grandfather's love for fiddle music. Every time we pluck those violin strings, the music fills our spirits and warms our hearts. Music is home. 

Music is exactly what I needed this month in the dead of winter. I shiver against the frigid temperatures Shakespeare best described as a frigid "tempest." But when I hear music, everything changes. I dance and sing. I forget about the howling wind. I listen to music and it warms my heart--every time. Music is saving me at this midway point of winter. I'll keep dancing and singing until spring, and every season that follows. 

This week on the blog, I'm sharing five songs I have been listening to over and over again this winter 2019 season. I smack the "repeat" button as soon as the final chord rings out. I can't get enough of the songs. Yes, I'll eventually grow tired of them, but then I'll move on to the songs I'll love for Spring 2019. That's the circle of life for music. 

Here's what I'm currently listening to this season, so get ready to dance and sing along. Allow the music to warm your hearts this winter season. 

"The Greatest Showman" (photo/IMDb)
1. The Greatest Showman - "The Other Side" 

I have a confession: I didn't see The Greatest Showman until last weekend. Yes, I'm about a year behind everyone else and I had no idea what I was missing. Wow, wow, wow. Not only is it a great movie (10/10 stars, for sure), but the music is phenomenal. I have been singing and dancing along to the music every day since I watched the movie. 

I knew I wanted to include a song from the movie in today's blog post, but it was hard to choose which song. After all, there are so many good songs. I could have chosen "This Is Me," "The Greatest Show," "Rewrite the Stars," "A Million Dreams," "Come Alive," and so many more. Every song is great and makes me dance, but "The Other Side" is probably one of my favorite songs from the movie.



First, it's a great duet between Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron. The song has a great beat, lyrics, and it's just a fun song. I've been listening to it on repeat. So, listen to this song and every song from the movie's soundtrack. You won't regret it. 


2. Thomas Rhett - "Sixteen" 

Thomas Rhett's recent album, "Life Changes"
(photo/The Musical Hype).
In recent years, Thomas Rhett has become one of the biggest stars in country music. He has No. 1 hits one after another, and his recent single, "Sixteen," is no different. The song is exactly what you expect from a Thomas Rhett single: a modern "pop-country" sound mixed with a moderate tempo paired with a decent groove that keeps the song going. 

This song is a trip down memory lane, reflecting on your teenage years when you couldn't wait to turn sixteen. When you were that age, you couldn't wait to turn 21, and the story continues. The song suggests taking a moment to look around and appreciate the present. The grass is pretty green on your side of the fence. 

"Sixteen" is another solid offering from Rhett, with a nice balance of vocals and meaningful lyrics that make you pause and consider your life. 


3. Calpurnia - "Greyhound" 

Calpurnia (photo/Ticketfly)
If you're a fan of indie music, this is a song you need to listen to this season. I was first introduced to Calpurnia because I'm a fan of the Netflix original series, Stranger Things. The indie band features star Finn Wolfhard, and he's supported by fellow teenagers Jack Anderson, Ayla Tesler-Mabe, and Malcolm Craig. Since founding their band (name inspired by To Kill a Mockingbird's Calpurnia, which I love) in 2017, the band has skyrocketed to international fame. 

Their 2018 hit, "Greyhound," is reminiscent of other indie music. It's drifting, woozy, dreamy, and features the band's charming harmonies, neat guitar effects, and a killer chorus. What more could you want in a good song? 

Because these young musicians are only teenagers (which is remarkable), I expect they will continue to deliver impressive music for many years to come. I'll certainly be listening. 



4. Kelsea Ballerini - "Miss Me More" 

Kelsea Ballerini (photo/The Boot)
Kelsea Ballerini's newest single, "Miss Me More," is a powerful female empowerment anthem that is probably one of the best country songs I've heard in recent months. This song is nothing like Ballerini's previous music. It's edgy and features spacious synths and methodical drums. The darker instrument tones resemble the song's serious vibe. 

The song is clearly a break-up song, but it's better than most. The narrator's ex assumed she would miss him, but instead she misses herself more. She misses the woman she used to be before the relationship. She misses the old version of herself. She wants that person back more than the lover. She's better off without him. 

That's a song we need. Ballerini has always been a talented songwriter and I'm thrilled she's finally receiving credit for her hard work. In recent years, she's been rising as a powerful female voice in country music and her recent single is a statement of her power. This song deserves love and so much more. 



5. Switchfoot - "Let It Happen" 

Switchfoot (photo/Amazon.com)
Switchfoot recently returned from a 20-year hiatus and I was excited to listen to their new album, Native Tongue. Switchfoot is a nostalgic band for me. Many television shows and movies from the early 2000s featured the band's music. So, whenever I think of the early 2000s, Switchfoot's music is in the back of my mind. 

Many critics are, well, critical of the band's new music. I think that's to be expected, considering the band has been absent from the music industry for an extended period of time. Is the new music going to be successful? Is it going to be as memorable as their other music? Probably not, but I'm still enjoying the new album, particularly the first song, "Let It Happen." 

The song is a decent alternative anthem with fun vocals. It's a song I can easily listen to and enjoy while I'm working on a writing project. I nod my head along to the beat of the music. I love any song that fills my office with music and helps me feel motivated as I work. "Let It Happen" accomplished that; therefore, I'm grateful for its presence in the music world. 


---

(photo/Anamika Mishra)
Of course, I have been listening to more than just five songs this winter season, but these five are the ones I've been slapping that "repeat" button the most often. I will play these songs on repeat until I grow tired of them and then I'll move on to other songs. It's how I roll. 

I love discovering new songs and exploring the lyrics. Music is one of the most powerful creative tools in existence. Music has been "saving" me this winter season and I love how it always works its "magic" on me. 

So, listen to these songs and feel inspired. Let music fill your hearts with warmth this winter season. Dance and sing along, and don't be ashamed. You know I'm dancing! 

-KJL-


Comments

Popular Posts