Weekend Writing: My 2018 Writing & Reading Goals In Review




It's the end of another calendar year. We're turning the pages over to 2019, but it doesn't seem possible. Where did 2018 go? It flew by like the pages in the most recent book I read (Helen Hoang's The Kiss Quotient, in case you're wondering). I reflected on my year (the personal experiences and growths) earlier this week, but now I'm going to look back at the post I wrote at the beginning of the year, in which I established my 2018 writing and reading goals.

Warning: I wasn't as successful as I hoped back in January 2018.

1. Draft New Poems & Stories 

(photo/Rochford on Demand)
Yes, I wrote new poems and short stories this year. I even outlined and began a draft for a new book. I had new ideas for writing, but I didn't always get them down on paper. I didn't prioritize my writing this year. Instead, I procrastinated. I shoved my writing to the side--tucked it away for me to return to at a later day.

Perhaps 2019 is that later day. I'm not happy that I didn't write as much this past year. But I'll strive to do better. I'm a writer, after all. I should write. I should write all the time. I should write a new poem once a week. I should set aside time in my day's schedule to think about my writing, outline a new story, and focus on my creativity.

I'm a writer and I want to write. It should be that easy.

But we all know it's not.

2. Read 50 Books

Oh, boy. I had such high hopes for this reading goal. When I established this goal in January, I thought to myself, "What could be so hard? It's just 50 books! That's easy! I can read a book a week."
(photo/McKinsey)

I read 28 books this year. I read just slightly more than half of my reading goal. Last year, I read 35 books, so I thought I could read 50 books. I forgot that I was a college student (a creative writing and literature student) for the first five months of 2017. I was reading new books all the time for my classes. That's why I read 35 books.

But when I only get a chance to read maybe on the weekends due to my work, that slows down the reading process. Unfortunately, I don't get to read as much as I would hope. I'm going to work on that in 2019. I love to read. It's not only fun, but it's also therapeutic for me to escape reality. I'll make it a goal to read more often.

But, reflecting on the past year, below is a list of my favorite books I read this year:

  • Nicola Yoon's The Sun is Also a Star
  • Karen Kingsbury's Angels Walking series
  • Judy Blume's In the Unlikely Event
  • Karen Kingsbury's Redemption series
  • Rupi Kaur's the sun and her flowers
  • Rainbow Rowell's Attachments 
  • Anne Tyler's Vinegar Girl 
  • Lydia Netzer's Shine, Shine, Shine
  • Helen Hoang's The Kiss Quotient 

3. No Procrastination! 

Ha! I laugh at this. Did I seriously think I wouldn't procrastinate this year? At all? What was I thinking...?
(photo/Metaphysic's Speaks)

Procrastination is a killer for most writers, myself included. While I don't necessarily have writer's block, there are days when it takes me a little longer than normal to draft a poem or short story. I still get distracted by a YouTube video, or I receive a text message and I start looking at something else on my phone.

At the beginning of the year, I was going to turn off my cell phone when I decided to write. It was a nice idea--one I still hope to complete this upcoming year. In addition, I was going to draft my work on a typewriter to prevent the temptation of looking at something on my cell phone. But, I didn't follow through with the plans. I still got distracted. I procrastinated.

I'll try to do better next year.

4. Submit, Submit, Submit

(photo/Chicago Writers Conference)
As a writer, it's crucial to get my work out there in the real world, instead of being stored away in my writing journal. My goal this year was to submit, submit, and submit. Submit my work to multiple journals. As a freelance writer, submit my story pitches to editors. Submit my work and see what happens.

I did fairly well with this goal. I submitted to 20 publications in 2018. I submitted to new journals I discovered this year, as well as other journals I have been following and loving for years. I had seven literary works accepted and published this year, which I consider to always be a success. I submitted my work and hoped for the best, and that's all I can really do.

Thank you to the following publications for publishing my work this year:

  • Penumbra Art and Literary Journal
  • Ink Drift 
  • Furtive Dalliance
  • Constellate
  • Inside the Bell Jar 
5. Return to Old Projects 

(photo/Fiverr)
My final goal for 2018 was to return to old projects. There are many writing projects I start but never finish. I begin writing so many short stories, but I don't finish them because I get an idea for another story during the middle of the writing process. The original story is neglected for a new story. 

I wanted to return to those old projects. I hoped I would finish them this year. I wanted to show them the love they deserve. I promised I would finish them, but did I keep my promise? 

NOPE.

I worked on outlining an old project, but I didn't finish the idea. I considered the projects, but I didn't finish them. I did return to my poetry chapbook and I drafted more poems. But did I finish my projects? No, and that's okay. It takes a while to write long, extensive works. I shouldn't rush through the projects just to complete them. I should be patient. 

For the most part, I'm doing okay. I'm doing what works for me, and that's all I can do. 

---

2018 was an interesting year for my writing and reading. I fell in love with new books--books that inspired me in ways I wasn't expecting. I read some of my favorite books I have ever read this year. I published new material. I started new projects and wrote a few new pieces. 

Yes, I procrastinated. Yes, I didn't read as many books as I hoped. Yes, I didn't write as many poems and stories I planned. Am I angry at myself? 

No. 

I'm not angry or disappointed. I have a full-time writing job. I sometimes have to prioritize my work over my creative writing. It's okay; I write when I can. I do my best, and like I always say, that's all I can do. 

-KJL-





Comments

Popular Posts