Weekend Writing: Festive Poems For Christmas 2018



I have been writing several holiday-themed blog posts this month, from holiday decor to greeting cards and food recipes, and more. But today, I am offering my list of five festive poems to read for the holidays.

Poets love to write about any topics, but especially Christmas. Some of the best poems ever written are about the holiday season--about the white scenery, the religious holiday, families gathering, and more. There's no better way to celebrate the beauty of today than with some classic Christmas poetry.

Today's post provides a list of five of the best holiday poems. Happy reading!

1. "Little Tree" - e.e. cummings

little tree
little silent Christmas tree
you are so little
you are more like a flower
who found you in the green forest
and were you very sorry to come away?
see i will comfort you
because you smell so sweetly 
i will kiss your cool bark
and hug you safe and tight
just as your mother would,
only don't be afraid
look the spangles
that sleep all the year in a dark box
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine,
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,
put up your little arms
and i'll give them all to you to hold
every finger shall have its ring
and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy... 

2. "Winter Time" - Robert Louis Stevenson 

Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head; 
Blinks but an hour or two; and then, 
A blood-red orange, sets again.

Before the stars have left the skies,
At morning in the dark I rise;
And shivering in my nakedness,
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.

Close by the jolly fire I sit
To warm my frozen bones a bit; 
Or with a reindeer-sled, explore
The colder countries round the door.

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
Me in my comforter and cap;
The cold wind burns my face, and blows
Its frosty pepper up my nose. 

Black are my steps on silver sod; 
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad; 
And tree and house, and hill and lake, 
Are frosted like a wedding-cake. 

3. "Music on Christmas Morning" - Anne Bronte 

Music I love - but never strain
Could kindle raptures so divine,
So grief assuage, so conquer pain,
And rouse this pensive heart of mine - 
As that we hear on Christmas morn, 
Upon the wintry breezes borne. 

Though Darkness still her empire keep,
And hours must pass, ere morning break; 
From troubled dreams, or slumber deep,
That music kindly bids us wake: 
It calls us, with an angel's voice,
To wake, and worship, and rejoice; 

4. "Christmas Bells" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
    And wild and sweet
    The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
     Had rolled along
     The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
    A voice, a chime,
    A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Then from each black, accursed month
The cannon thundered in the South, 
    And with the sound
    The carols drowned 
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent, 
    And made forlorn 
   The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head; 
"There is no peace on earth," I said; 
    "For hate is strong,
    And mocks the song 
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!" 

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep; 
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep; 
    The Wrong shall fail,
    The Right prevail, 
With peace on earth, good-will to men."

5. "Before the ice is in the pools--" - Emily Dickinson 

Before the ice is in the pools--
Before the skaters go,
Or any check at nightfall 
Is tarnished by the snow--

Before the fields have finished,
Before the Christmas tree,
Wonder upon wonder 
Will arrive to me! 

---

I'll keep it simple: Merry Christmas! I hope you're able to spend the holidays with your loved ones. Until next time...

-KJL-


Comments

Popular Posts