Inspire Reflection: 2018 in Review



It's hard to believe that we have already arrived at the end of another year. It doesn't feel like it was that long ago when I was reflecting on the events in 2017, but alas, here we are again: already moving on to 2019.

Reflecting on 2018, this year has brought more changes than I expected, but in a good way. I grew as an individual in ways I hardly anticipated. Instead of forgetting about 2018 and jumping straight to 2019, let's take a moment to celebrate the positive things about the past year.

This is adventure. Life is about going on adventures. This year, I traveled to Nashville, Tennessee twice to visit the Grand Ole Opry. I went to the home of country music, and the adventure was worth the anticipated wait.

Visiting the Grand Ole Opry (photo/Kasy Long).

In addition, I also traveled to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for a family vacation. I enjoyed delicious food, explored the gorgeous Smoky Mountains, and spent time with my family.

Visiting Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (photo/Kasy Long).

Finally, I also traveled to Chicago, Illinois to attend Rupi Kaur's poetry reading. Her reading was breathtaking, expressive, and emphasized the empowering, poignant, and raw emotions conveyed in her poetry. Her reading was one of the highlights of my year, and maybe I'll be able to attend another reading in the near future.

Attending Rupi Kaur's poetry reading in Chicago, Illinois (photo/Kasy Long).

I wouldn't trade adventures like these (and others) for anything, and I can hardly wait for the new adventures in 2019.

This is once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. I met two authors this year: Beverly Lewis and Karen Kingsbury. Each book signing was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will never take for granted. First, I met acclaimed Amish author Beverly Lewis when she visited my hometown. I have been a fan of her writing since high school, so you can probably imagine how overjoyed I was to finally meet her.

Meeting Beverly Lewis (photo/Kasy Long).

Later, I met Karen Kingsbury, the award-winning Christian fiction author known for her "Life-Changing Fiction." She visited Bloomington, Indiana for a "Baxter Family Reunion." I was giddy while I was talking to her--but giddy from happiness. It was amazing to meet one of my role models--to see her in person and to explore the many places in Bloomington that inspired locations in her novels.

Meeting Karen Kingsbury (photo/Kasy Long).

Sometimes, you have to be brave and courageous to aim for these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Many people would be scared to meet their favorite authors. While I was nervous, I was more excited to meet them. As Lucille Ball once said, "I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I haven't done."

I don't ever want to regret the things I haven't done. I want to do all the things in my heart's desire.

This is growth. This year brought my second year in my professional career as a freelance writer--working for magazines and online publications as a writer and editor. I grew as a professional in my field, thus growing as an individual. I started a new job as a freelance for a digital media platform, where I get to write about something new every day.

Freelance writing (photo/The Writing Cooperative).

Freelance writing isn't an easy job. The jobs don't come to me; I have to work for them. But, I'm privileged to do what I love every day. I make money as a writer and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Thank you to everyone who helped me this past year in my growth.

This is peace. The year 2018 brought peace and happiness. While there were many hardships, felt both near and far in our world, 2018 was still one of the best years of my life yet. I expect there will be even more adventures, opportunities, and ways for me to grow in the future. It brings me peace that I'm making memories, confident in my own skin, and still growing into the person God wants me to be.

I hope all of you had a wonderful year. There's more to come in 2019!

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts