Inspire Great Music for Fall 2018



The music I listen to often influences my writing. Whenever I'm writing, I always have music playing in the background. I bob my head to the beats, sing along, and even get up to dance to some songs. If anyone was watching me, they'd think I'm crazy. But, I'm just having fun and enjoying good music.

I believe there's a song for everyone. That's why I'm here this week to share with you five songs I have been listening to over and over again this fall season. I smack the "repeat" button as soon as the final chord rings out. Yes, I'll eventually grow tired of these songs, but then I'll move on to the songs I'll love for Winter 2019. 

Here's what I'm currently listening to, so get ready to listen and be inspired. Music is so powerful, friends. 

1. Eric Church - "Desperate Man" 

Eric Church in his music video for "Desperate Man" (photo/Rolling Stone).
Eric Church's latest hit, "Desperate Man," was released in July 2018, so it's technically a Summer 2018 song. But I'm still a huge fan of the song. Every time it plays on the radio or my Pandora radio station, I fall in love with it. 

Church's last studio album, Mr. Misunderstood, was released in 2015. It's been a while since we have heard new music from the country musician. But I'm glad he's back and he's more than ready to provide tunes we'll love. 

This includes "Desperate Man," a song that will make anyone want to get up and dance. It's the first single off his new album, also titled Desperate Man. Maybe Church was desperate to write new music. Or, maybe he was desperate to write a song that was true to his original music. Either way, I'm glad he wrote this song. It's catchy, has a good beat, and I always sing along. "Desperate Man" is a song I've been listening to on repeat since July, and I imagine I'll keep listening to the song for a little while longer.



2. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper - "Shallow" 

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper in "A Star Is Born" (photo/ComingSoon.net).
I haven't watched the recent release of the blockbuster hit film, A Star Is Born, starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, but I have listened to the soundtrack. "Shallow" has become the most famous song from the film, and it deserved its numerous weeks as Number One on all of the music charts. 

A Star Is Born is a remake of the 1976 version starring Kris Kristofferson and Barbara Streisand,  which was a remake of the 1954 version starring James Garner and Judy Garland, which was also a remake of the original 1937 film starring Fredric March and Janet Gaynor. Do you notice a pattern? This movie has been remade a lot, but critics state the 2018 version starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper is the best one yet. The newest version adds nuance and character development that was lacking in its predecessors. It's a modern tale, best suited for a 2018 audience. 

A squad of the best songwriters in the music business worked on the film's soundtrack. Even before the movie was released in theaters, "Shallow" was a Number One hit. People, myself included, fell in love with the song's full spectrum of music--a crossover between country, Americana, and pop. This is a song I listen to in the background when I'm working on a project, and it immediately brings peace and serenity.



3. Keith Urban - "Never Comin Down" 

Keith Urban (photo/KFrog)
Referred to as his boldest radio single yet, Keith Urban's latest single, "Never Comin Down," always makes me want to get up and dance. The song, from his most recent album, Graffiti U, is everything I love in a good Keith Urban song: catchy tunes, good lyrics, and it's undeniable.

The song is slow and purposeful until the chorus, which is energetic, motivational, and upbeat. This song attracts attention--in a good way. I am always thrilled to hear this song play on the radio. It's a song that wants me to work harder and "never come down." I stay motivated the best while listening to this song.



4. Mumford & Sons - "Guiding Light" 

Mumford & Sons (photo/The Current)
Mumford & Sons is one of my favorite folk bands. The group recorded several of my favorite folk songs, including "I Will Wait," "White Blank Page," "Little Lion Man," and more. The band's last album, Wilder Mind, was released in 2015. So, it's been a few years since we've received new music
from the group, and I've missed their music...A lot.

But on November 16, 2018, Mumford & Sons is releasing their next album, Delta. We don't know that much about the album, but we have received at least one new song from the album, "Guiding Light."

This song is classic Mumford & Sons. It has everything you want in a good folk song: good lyrics, a nice beat, beautiful melodies, heartfelt messages, and more. "Guiding Light" is as intimate as a song can be. Maybe Mumford & Sons will be a guiding light in the music industry. From what I've heard, the band's new music is tender, introspective, and reflective. We need more songs like this in our world.



5. Tim McGraw - "Neon Church"

You can probably tell I listen to a lot of country music. That's okay! This last song, Tim McGraw's "Neon Church," is one many individuals can appreciate, even if you don't enjoy country music.
Tim McGraw (photo/CMT)

McGraw has explained that "Neon Church" sets up a story, perhaps later developed in his upcoming studio album (unknown release date). The song is cinematic. It tells a story about an individual who needs church--who needs Jesus and he's begging for salvation. If you have ever been caught between being lost and being found, this song is for you.

When I first heard the song, I fell in love with it. It's gentle, slow, but its chorus is catchy and fuels your body with inspiration. At least, that's what happened to me. I immediately hit the repeat button, and I wouldn't blame you if you did the same thing.



---

Of course, I've been listening to more than just five songs this fall season, but these five are the ones I have enjoyed the most. I will play these songs on repeat until I grow sick of them, and then I'll move on to other songs. It's how I roll.

I love discovering new songs and exploring the lyrics. Music is one of the most powerful creative tools in existence. I love when it works its "magic" on me. The lyrics and music affect me so much.

So, listen to these songs and many more this fall season. Don't be afraid to hit the repeat button. You know I am!

-KJL-



Comments

Popular Posts