Inspire Traveling Part III



My sister and I outside the Grand Ole Opry
(photo/Dale Long).
At this point, you're probably thinking, "Why don't you just move to Nashville? You certainly visit the city enough." Well, if I had to move to any city in the country, Nashville would be my first choice. I love the history, the vibrant community, and of course, the music.

Every time I visit Nashville, I always have a great time. But this experience was possibly the best trip to date. We saw Carrie Underwood--yes, the one and only Carrie Underwood--perform at the Grand Ole Opry.

*Insert collected cheer*

To say it was amazing would even be an understatement. I have been a fan of Carrie Underwood since she won American Idol in 2005. I remember singing to her music in middle school, and my love for her has only grown since then. So, when I finally got to see her perform on Saturday, I think middle-school me would have been proud.

We went to two shows, where she sang six songs: "Wasted," "Cry Pretty," "Something in the Water," "Dirty Laundry," Randy Travis's song "I Told You So," and "Before He Cheats." Every song was beautiful and I loved every minute of watching her perform right in front of me.

I only hope I can attend her concert tour next summer. I would love to hear more than six songs!

Photos from Carrie Underwood's performance at the Grand Ole Opry (photo/Kasy Long).

We also had the privilege of hearing Charles Esten perform. Esten played the lovable and memorable Deacon Claybourne on CMT's hit series, Nashville. Esten is definitely more than just an actor; he's a true performer. He rocked the house Saturday night--the Grand Ole Opry House, that is. I haven't watched Nashville, but my sister is a fan of the show. She loved seeing him perform, and I loved hearing his music for the first time! It was a wonderful experience.

Charles Esten performing at the Grand Ole Opry (photo/Kasy Long).

The dressing room reserved for famous female country
singers. This was Carrie Underwood's dressing room
Saturday night (photo/Kasy Long).
And to top off the night was an exclusive backstage tour for my sister and me before the first show began. Seriously, it was amazing. I have been backstage at the Opry before (which makes me sound like I work there, but I don't. I wish!), but that was after the show. This time, we were VIP guests backstage, where we had the privilege of seeing the dressing rooms with the performers getting ready for the night's show.

We saw the "hustle and bustle" of backstage life before the show begins promptly at 7 p.m. It was exciting, exhilarating, and educational all at the same time. Everyone was welcoming, but most importantly, they were humble. Some of the performers (and I looked, but Carrie Underwood hadn't arrived yet for the show) said hello to us like we were regular people.

Because we have to remember that they are regular people, too. They're just people, like you and me.

Okay, Carrie Underwood might be a regular person, but she's not like you and me.

Backstage at the Grand Ole Opry (photo/Kasy Long).
The Grand Ole Opry stage (photo/Kasy Long).
To conclude the backstage tour, we were allowed to stand in the wings on the stage during the first act of the show. We were on the Grand Ole Opry stage! The Grand Ole Opry is truly historic. As our tour guide emphasized, what other music venues can you think of that gave birth to an entire genre of music? That's the Grand Ole Opry for you. The Opry made country music famous, and it was incredible to stand on the same stage so many of our favorites--Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton, Brad Paisley, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Luke Bryan, Keith Urban, and Carrie Underwood all performed. When the curtain went up, I got goosebumps from the excitement. I couldn't wait for the show to begin and standing on the stage, I somehow felt like I was a part of the show.

Just don't hand me a microphone. I'm not that ready.


Standing on the Grand Ole Opry stage (photo/Kasy Long).

Saturday was truly an unforgettable experience--one I'll store away in my mind (and heart). I will never forget this.

Thanks for another great visit, Nashville. You always treat us so well.

Until next time!

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts