Weekend Writing: Reviewing Karen Kingsbury's "Redemption"


"The truth was this: Love is a decision." - Karen Kingsbury, "Redemption"

This might be my favorite quote from Karen Kingsbury's novel, Redemption. The first book in the Baxter Family Series, Kingsbury's creation, along with relationship expert Gary Smalley, feels just like that--a family. Each member of the family is unique and has their own beautiful story to be explored, but Redemption focuses on the delicate love story of the second oldest daughter, Kari Baxter Jacobs.

Married to an Indiana University journalism professor, Kari's world is turned upside when she receives an anonymous phone call that her husband, Tim, is cheating on her with one of his students. Because of Kari's commitment to faith and her marriage, she prays to forgive Tim and rebuild their marriage.

This is especially important when she discovers she is pregnant with their first child.

At the beginning of the story, Tim demands for a divorce, claiming his love is only strong for his student, Angela Manning. Kari returns home to her parents outside Bloomington, Indiana, and that's when she reunites with her first love--Ryan Taylor. Kari is now confused more than ever because her former attraction to Ryan has returned, but she knows in her heart that she must work on her marriage.

Karen Kingsbury (photo/LifeWay.com)
Redemption, the first novel in a five-part "Redemption" series, is a story of love at all costs. Love is a decision, after all. Who will Kari decide to love in the end?

I was puzzled when I read the book for the first time. I had many questions: Am I supposed to like Tim? Or, am I supposed to want Kari and Ryan to end up together?

Kari is pregnant with Tim's child, which adds an intricate element to the novel's plot. Kari can't give up on her marriage because she wants her unborn child to have a normal life. Kingsbury's writing explores multiple flashback scenes in which we (the readers) experience the early days of Kari and Tim's relationship. I admit, I loved Tim when they fell in love.

But, I also loved Ryan Taylor--the dreamy, athletic boy-next-door character who seems perfect for Kari. He never stopped loving her. He would never hurt her, like Tim did.

But, Tim redeems his character halfway through the novel. When he learns he is going to be a father, he changes. He recognizes Kari's feelings and makes an attempt at their marriage. So, who am I supposed to root for? I end up liking both men...and that's what makes this book so intriguing to read.

I found myself flipping pages one after another and reading toward the end of the novel to see Kari's final decision. Who did she end up with?

Now, I won't spoil the ending, but I will tell you this: I was shocked. I found myself saying, "No...No...NO!"

Redemption deals with a variety of relational struggles--Kari's desire to resolve her marriage, Ryan's commitment to her, and Tim's self-redemption and realization that he loves Kari. Karen Kingsbury's writing tells her readers that love is a decision, often influenced by complicated circumstances, but yet, it is still a decision. One does not simply fall in love and that's it. One must choose to love and make a commitment to the partnership.

And I'm really glad Redemption taught me this lesson.

"New steps. That's what it amounted to. The two of them were learning the steps that would bring them together, a dance that would take them into forever. A dance that could be nothing less than God's plan for their lives." - Karen Kingsbury, "Redemption"


-KJL-


Comments

  1. I try not to give away spoilers in my reviews! I'm glad you're enjoyed the "Redemption" series. I'm currently reading the "Firstborn" series and I'm loving it so far! I'll be reviewing it, too. Thanks for finding my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts