Weekend Writing: Why I Have a Designated Writing Day



Welcome to the first installment of a new series on my blog, Weekend Writing! Every weekend, I'm going to focus on topics relating to writing, reading, and creativity. My Wednesday blog post will continue to center on "inspiration" and lifestyle topics. I'm creating this new series to discuss my favorite passion--writing! Enjoy! 

---

When I graduated college in May, I didn't miss the homework assignments, exams, and writing essays. The only thing I missed was writing (creative writing) on a regular basis for a workshop with my peers. Throughout the school year, I would be writing all the time, so when I graduated and didn't have workshops to attend anymore, I missed that regular schedule.

(photo/Freelance Writing)
That's when I decided to have a designated writing day in the week for my creative work. Yes, I write every day for my job as an editor and writer, but my work centers on writing news articles, feature stories, and additional material for magazines and newspapers. It's still "creative," but definitely not the poetry I love. 

So, I use Friday evenings after the long work week to dip into my creativity and write a new poem. I don't need to write much--simply a new draft of a piece. It might not even be a complete poem, but it's something to get me started, and I can always return to the project a week later. 

I know so many other writers could relate to the necessity of setting aside one day in the week to focus on their personal work and not on something for their job. If I didn't have this day of the week, I wouldn't be writing at all, and that would be very sad. As my mother says, I studied creative writing in college for four years. It would be pretty pathetic of me not to write once I graduated.

So, I push myself to write like I did in college...because I have something to say. As my favorite writer F. Scott Fitzgerald (also known as my literary boyfriend, wink wink), once said, "You don't write because you want to say something. You write because you have something to say."

(photo/Quotefancy.com)

Well, I have something to say, so I'm going to use my designated writing day to do just that, say something. I encourage all of you to set aside one day in the week to tap into your creative juices and write. If you have the talent to write, then don't neglect it.

Write on.

-KJL-


Comments

  1. I really need to do this. I often get side tracked with every day life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts