Inspire Art


I pledge to be honest on this blog. I'm not a professional chef. I'm not an artist. But, this doesn't mean I can't have fun. I love to try new recipes, even though they may not turn out exactly like the book says. I still enjoy learning new cooking techniques. The same is true for art. I'm not a perfect artist. I enjoy painting during my free time. If I had the option to either sit and watch a movie for a few hours or paint, I would choose the latter option. Painting is an activity, but it's relaxing. I'm using my creativity in ways I never thought were possible.

And I didn't always know I could do this.
My painting from the wine and canvas event
(photo/Kasy Long).

During the summer of 2015, my sister and I attended a wine and canvas event. This was our first experience at an event like this, so we didn't really know what to expect. We have seen our friends attend wine and canvases, so we just wanted to try it. I knew that we would follow an instructor and paint the same picture as everyone else. I was aware of this going into the event. However, when my painting was turning out differently than the other guests at the event, I became insecure. My painting wasn't bad at all, but it was just different. I didn't want to add as many clouds in the sky as the instructor. I wanted the water to be a different shade of blue. I wanted some control over my creativity--because as a creative person, I like to generate ideas and create an image through my own mind, not someone else's.

I was happy with my painting by the end of the night, but it wasn't an exact replica of the instructor's. That's okay. That's why I have never attended another wine and canvas event. I'm not saying these events are bad, because it was fun. I learned how to blend colors together, and I learned that acrylic paint is the best medium for the style of painting I prefer. I learned valuable information at the wine and canvas event, but I prefer to paint at home.

My sister and I decided after that night that we could paint from home. We can buy canvases, easels, paint brushes, and acrylic paint at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. So, we did just that. We set up a painting space in our house and we began to paint...whatever image we desired.

The first painting I created at home using my creativity (photo/Kasy Long).
I use Pinterest to find inspiration for new painting ideas. There are hundreds of suggestions I can use, which I then adapt and use my creativity to paint my own image. I often don't agree with the image. If I don't want to add trees to a painting because they would cover up the background, then I don't add them. If I want to use different colors, then I have the freedom to explore my options.

Through this process, I have fallen in love with painting. I'm not a perfect artist, as I stated at the beginning of this post. I'm not even classified as a "painter," but it doesn't matter. You don't have to be perfect to have fun. You shouldn't strive for perfection with your hobbies. They should be just that--hobbies. I sit in our painting studio, turn on some music and allow my creativity to ease my stresses for a few hours as I create another beautiful piece of work on a blank canvas.

Below is a sample of the paintings I have created over the past two years. Like I said, they're not perfect, but I had fun creating each one.

I used PicMonkey to create this collage. It's a free photo editing service! 

Painting brings me relaxation. I encourage you to explore a new hobby. I didn't know I would love painting as much as I do if I didn't give it a try in 2015. I'm so thankful I discovered this hidden talent. Good luck in discovering your own passions!

Inspire art.

-KJL-



Comments

  1. Just like writing, you don't have to be a perfect artist. You just need to get in the game and enjoy the creative process. Creativity comes in many forms. You will find that art will enhance your writing. It will help you look at things from different perspectives. Keep on painting. I have admired your work throughout this process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love paper crafting now but never thought I would like until I tried, you're so right we should try different things!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts