Inspire Advice for a College Freshman From a Recent Graduate



It's time for students to return to school. Most public schools have welcomed students back into the classrooms, but this week and next weekend is the typical time when college freshmen begin to move into their dorm rooms and start their educational careers as college students. It's a scary time, but also an incredibly exciting change.

I'm a recent college graduate. I graduated from Ohio Northern University in May. While I'm happy to be working as a professional, I still miss getting ready for school. I'm the "nerd" who enjoys buying a new planner and plugging in my schedule for the new semester.

I remember the butterflies in my stomach when I arrived to campus in Ada, Ohio during the freshman move-in weekend in 2013. I knew I was prepared for college, but I was nervous about meeting new people, my professors, and the concept of taking challenging classes.

If I had read a blog post back in 2013 with advice for preparing for my freshman year from a recent college graduate, I would have had more confidence when I arrived on campus. I would have benefited from this blog post, so that's why I'm here right now.

My best friends, or as we call ourselves, Team K (Kellen, Kasy
and Kyra). 
If you're reading this and you're an incoming college freshman, don't panic. I know it's easier said than done, but try to relax. College will be one of the best experiences of your life and you'll meet some of your best friends while you're there. I know I did, and I still text my friends on a daily basis even though we live in different cities now after graduation. Our shared experiences (and memories of living together for two years) will connect us together, and I'll always be thankful for that.

So, don't be afraid to meet new people. How do you do that? Join campus organizations and clubs. At Ohio Northern, on Sunday of Welcome Weekend, all of the campus organizations come together in the field house of the sports arena (King Horn for all of you future ONU Polar Bears). These organizations have informational pages about how to join the clubs. But, the most important thing they have is something all college students immediately grow to love--"free stuff." You can pick up free candy, pens, notepads, stickers, etc. while learning about the organization. Pretty good deal, right?

Welcome Fest at Ohio Northern University (photo/onu.edu). 
I advise you to pick up as much information as you can get from the organizations that interest you. But, don't stop there. Go to the first meeting and just see if the club is a good fit for you. You might not be an expert at the topic or talented in the craft, but you might meet some friends in the club and then you'll want to come back to the next meeting. Before you know it, you'll fall in love with the club and the people involved in the organization. This is exactly what happened to me during my freshman year at Ohio Northern. I went to the first meeting for the student newspaper, the Northern Review. I had some newspaper experience in high school, but I wasn't planning on joining the staff in college. I took a chance and went to the first meeting. The editors were so nice and I immediately fell in love with the organization. I continued to attend meetings and eventually became an editor during my sophomore year. I was Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper during my senior year.

Like I say a lot on this blog, you never know if you're going to like something until you try it.

Now, it's important to note that you're going to meet A LOT of people during the first weekend you arrive on campus. You're not only going to meet your roommate and the people who live near you in your residence hall, but you're also going to meet people at orientation meetings and games. You're going to meet your classmates once classes begin. If you're lucky, you'll attend a college like Ohio Northern where the general student body is kind and caring. You'll meet a lot of people you would want to become friends with, but then as you move forward in the school year and begin to "get in the groove" with your schedule, you'll soon realize that you're not seeing all of the people you met during the first weekend as often as you thought.

Team K (photo/Kasy Long).
You're not "best friends" with everyone. That's okay. A large part of college is growing. You're going to grow as an individual and mature. Your friend list will change in college. You might grow apart with some friends, and even the friends you had in high school, but that's okay. You'll find a small group of friends who will be there for you no matter what. So, be aware that while you're meeting so many people during the move-in weekend, you won't become best friends with all of these people. If you don't become best friends with your roommate, that's okay. You just need to live with him/her.

You'll meet your best friends. It might just take some time, but it'll come together for you. I promise. I became close with my current best friends during the spring semester of my freshman year.

(photo/Get Buttoned Up)
Once you make your friends, you'll want to spend a lot of time with them. You'll want to watch movies, go to dinner at a restaurant that isn't on campus (because I hate to break it to you, but you will grow tired of the campus dining), and more. I must stress to you that while it's important to spend time with your friends, remember why you're in college. You're there to attend classes, study and work on earning your degree. One of the things that "kills" college students is procrastination. You'll push back your responsibilities for an upcoming project deadline until the night before it's due, and then you'll be stressed and lose sleep while you're staying up all night. Don't do this.

A college planner (photo/odyssey.com). 
Plan out a schedule so you can spend time with your friends and get your work done. It can be done. One of my favorite authors, Karen Kingsbury, shared a story of her father once in a video I watched. She said her father used to say that five percent of people are planners. If you're in that group, then that's great, because the other 95% of people end up working for the people who plan.

I think what Kingsbury's father means is that you'll go farther in life if you plan. You have a schedule planner at the beginning of the semester. Use it and fill in the important due dates for assignments or exams. You'll thank yourself later if you do everything you can to prevent yourself from procrastinating.

These tips can apply to you if you attend a large public school, like Indiana University or The Ohio State University, or a small private school, like Ohio Northern University or Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in my hometown of Terre Haute, Indiana. But, in case you want some more "smaller" pieces of advice, here's a list for you to consider:


  1. Communal showers and bathrooms exist. Buy a shower caddy and remember to bring everything with you to the shower. You'd hate to forget your pajamas. 
  2. Maintain a balanced diet when you're eating at the dining hall. It'll help you fight off the Freshman Fifteen. 
  3. Take notes in class and participate, even if you're an introvert, like myself. It will help you understand the material, but also the professor will know you care about your grades. 
  4. If you were a straight A student in high school, don't get mad or upset when you receive your first B or C on a paper, exam or project. Don't get mad at the professors. College is harder and it's supposed to be that way. It's okay if you get a B. Your future employer won't care if you received a B on an exam. They'll only care if you can apply the material you learned in college to your work. 
  5. Don't freak out if your major is undecided. It's okay if it takes you longer to figure out what you want to do with your life. You'll eventually discover your passion and choose a major. You'll earn that degree, just like everyone else. It's okay if it takes you a little longer than usual. 
  6. Be safe. Think responsibly when you're with your friends. 
  7. BREATHE. You'll survive college. You'll survive your freshman year. Before you know it, you'll be moving out for the summer. And then, before you know it, you'll be graduating college. While it feels like four years can be a long time, it's not. It flies by, and if you're lucky, it'll be some of the best four years of your life. 
Writing my next chapter (photo/Kasy Long).
You'll do fine. Be confident in your abilities and who you are. Meet some friends and fall in love with your passions. Chase your dreams and you'll become an awesome person when you graduate college. Then, one day, you'll be like me and inspiring new freshmen with similar advice. 

Good luck! 

-KJL- 

Comments

Popular Posts