There's a First Time for Everything

Friends, I have successfully completed the first draft of my senior capstone project. Within 20 pages, Abe Silverstein’s life and career is expressed, detailed and carefully noted. I evaluate why he didn’t become famous for his work. 
My completed draft. (photo/Kasy Long)
The answer: He didn’t want the fame. Surprise, surprise! There are actually people out there who turn away from the spotlight. Discovering this news made me admire the man so much more than I already did.

Now that my first draft is complete, I had to celebrate in some way with my friends. Last night, I attended an opera workshop on campus to support my roommate, who was a member of the cast. There’s a first time for everything. This was my first opera experience, and I must admit I enjoyed it so much more than I originally anticipated. I have always shied away from operas because of the foreign language and the high pitches. I can’t be the only one who ever felt that way, right?

Photos from last night's opera workshop. (photo/Kasy Long)
Luckily, this opera was contemporary, with a mixture of both English and foreign lyrics. I could understand the scenes; I could understand the emotional stress for these characters. It was wonderful!

There was even a scene in which two men rode a bicycle on the small stage in my university’s concert music hall. It was hilarious, and thankfully no one was injured.

It’s important to experience new things. If I had allowed my fear for opera music to prevent me from attending the show, I never would have experienced the enlightening music. I also would not have seen my best friend perform with her friends. It was evident that she loved every minute of the performance, and I couldn’t help but clap a little louder for her musical numbers.

I am going to be experiencing many “firsts” in the upcoming months. Today, my other roommate and I went to pick up our bridesmaid dresses for our roommate’s wedding in May—a first for me. In May, I will be moving to Jamestown, New York for three months to work as an Event Planning & Marketing intern for the Lucy-Desi Museum & Center for Comedy. I haven’t fully expressed my love for Lucille Ball and I Love Lucy on this blog, but I’m probably the biggest fan you will meet for a 21-year-old youngster. 

Photo from when I visited the Lucy-Desi Museum
in June 2014. (photo/Kasy Long)
Lastly, in the fall, I will be applying for MFA graduate programs. If I am accepted into a program, then my life’s journey will be moving forward into even more unimaginable experiences. 

Keep reading this blog, friends. I plan to share each life experience with you. Hop on board!


-KJL- 

Comments

  1. It will be interesting to follow you on your many journeys. Make sure you enjoy every stop along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy every step of the way on your journeys in the future! It sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts