Movie Experience Increases with Social Media

Since I'm so interested in space, here's a fun picture for you. (photo/loispohshijing)
When we watch a movie on television, we have thoughts and opinions to share with others. Thankfully, Twitter has become a great tool for people to join conversations during their film watching experience. 

About two weeks ago, I live-tweeted while watching my favorite film, “Apollo 13.” The film aired at midnight on the Turner Classic Movie network. It was the night before the Academy Awards, and the network was showing their picks for favorite Academy Award-winning movies. While “Apollo 13” did not win Best Picture (and Ron Howard wasn’t even nominated for Best Director) in 1996, the film did snag awards for Best Film Editing and Best Sound. The film’s sound was supported by James Horner’s beautiful score. 

A movie still from "Apollo 13." (photo/sky.com)
RIP, James Horner.

When I sat down to watch the film with my family, I was ready to begin the Twitter conversation. I wanted to see what others thought of the film. I have seen this film countless number of times now—to the point where I have many of the film’s dialogue memorized. I find moments humorous. I know it’s a drama, but there are some funny moments, as well. 

I joined the conversation #TCMParty. Other people watching the Turner Classic Movie channel at this time tweeted about their thoughts, shared unique experiences and added some unique facts about the movie that advanced my viewing experience. 

A movie still from "Apollo 13." (photo/fogsmoviereviews.com)
For many people, joining Twitter conversations could be taking you away from the film, but for me, I enjoy seeing what others think. Twitter is the place for conversations, so why not chat? If we do not build connections or conversations, then Twitter will die down in the social media world.

To view my complete conversation of my “Apollo 13” film watching experience, view my Storify recap at this link.


-KJL-

Comments

  1. It is interesting how social media, like Twitter conversations, is enhancing the movie-watching experience for future generations. Just make sure these Tweets come from your living room, not the movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to share thoughts with others about the movie you are watching. Social Media includes many aspects including movie watching!
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twitter is definitely a great platform to share opinions about movies and music! The fact that most actors have a Twitter account and talk about their movie and talk to other actors is very interesting. I tend to check Twitter to see which movies are trending. My roommate and I also expand our movie experience by watching movie reviews on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts