Harper Lee: The Iconic Voice of Wisdom

(photo/epicreads.tumblr.com)
"To Kill a Mockingbird" (photo/amazon.com)
I remember sitting in my high-school freshman English class. My teacher, Mrs. Thistle, handed out a new book for us to read. It was Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird.” I was immediately intrigued by Lee’s voice of wisdom. I flipped quickly through pages and pages of the novel, constantly wanting to grasp new information and to learn what happens next in the plot of the story. I fell in love with her characters – Scout, Atticus, Jem, Dill and even Boo Radley.  

I laughed, I cried, I was inspired. Not only did I fall in love with the characters, but I fell in love with Lee’s writing. “To Kill a Mockingbird” was one of the many novels that inspired me to continue my love for reading and writing in college, where I now study creative writing and literature. Would I have become a writer without Lee’s book? Yes, I believe I would, but I would be missing valuable information about race and diversity.

“To Kill a Mockingbird” tackles the difficult subject of race and diversity. The book, told through the perspective of the innocent Scout Finch, served as a lesson to generations about race and acceptance. Lee’s words inspired change. Her story provided wisdom. Harper Lee is iconic. 

So when I first heard the news yesterday that the acclaimed author passed away, I was stunned. I was sitting in my Advanced Poetry Workshop, and when the news was announced, each English major in the room released a sigh of “aww” at the loss of one of the most significant writers of our time. 

It was a very sad day in literature. 

Harper Lee (photo/theguardian.com)
After writing “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Lee lived a reserved life. She never married, never had children, and she was devoted to staying home with her father (who inspired the famous Atticus Finch) and her siblings.

Lee did not publish another book until last summer’s sequel to her literary classic, “Go Set a Watchman.” I must admit I wasn’t as impressed with the sequel as I was with the original 1960 novel, but that could be discussed in an entirely different blog post.

I watched the 1962 film starring Gregory Peck last summer after I re-read “To Kill a Mockingbird.” I remember watching the film in my high-school freshman English class, yet I couldn’t remember the film exactly. 
Gregory Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (photo/telegraph.co.uk) 
The court trial scene was particularly inspiring to me, both in the book and in the movie. I flipped through pages and pages of the chapter, and when I watched the film’s version of the scene, I was amazed at Peck’s performance. He delivers a fantastic speech, verbatim to Lee’s original text. Peck completely transforms himself into the character and stern voice of Atticus Finch. 



After I read the chapter of the court trial scene, and viewing the film clip, I pondered multiple questions: What is diversity? What is race? What is innocence? What is crime?

All men are created equal.

Lee inspired her readers by providing a white character defending an African-American character in an intensive court trial. She provided a voice of reason in a racial dynamic America in the 1960s. Whenever I read “To Kill a Mockingbird,” which I hope to re-read again sometime soon, her words beat into my skull. All men are created equal.

Her words teach me a valuable lesson: Don’t judge a person by the color of his/her skin.

There is a moment in the film—my favorite—in which after the court trial scene and Atticus Finch was defeated, each African-American in the room rises for him as he passes by them. It’s a moving scene, and I can’t remember if it occurs in the book, but I’m sure it was inspired by Lee, who was actively involved in the film production.



I rise to you, Harper Lee. Thank you for your wisdom, your words of courage and your inspirations. You will be missed dearly from the world of literature. Thank you for inspiring me to become a writer. Even though you are gone, at least we will always have your book, your words, your ideas and your wisdom to love and cherish.


(photo/pinterest.com)

-KJL-

Comments

  1. Harper Lee knew that she had written a great American novel which couldn't be replicated. So she didn't try. I agree that Lee's death was a sad day for American literature, and it was nice to see that she inspired you and other writers for the future. Long live Harper Lee through "To Kill a Mockingbird." Look like you will need to watch the movie again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harper Lee influenced so many more writers than she could have possibly imagined. It is a sad day for the literary world to lose one of the greatest writers of all time. She will live on through her words and thoughts in "To Kill a Mockingbird." I imagine a lot of people are reading her book again at this very moment! Your tribute to Harper Lee is very touching. It clearly shows how much she has influenced you as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would be writing about this! I was heartbroken when I heard the news, especially since it was just announced two days prior to her death that To Kill A Mockingbird would be coming to Broadway for the first time. Atticus Finch is quite possibly my favourite literary character of all time and I will always thank Harper Lee for that depth of understanding in an age where tensions were high and knowledge was limited. Her words still resonate with me today and I know they will continue to inspire generations to come. Even amidst all the celebrity deaths as of late, I can not help but to be thankful that I was alive at the same time as them. We as a generation are so unique, having seen the rise of the digital age, lived with giants, and survived countless trials and tribulations. What a blessing it is to have shared this earth with such an incredible woman, even if that time has now passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're exactly right. Her words will always stay with us. We are very blessed to have witnessed and read the beautiful story she provided. Tomorrow, Sigma Tau Delta is hosting a multicultural reading and discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if someone chooses to bring "To Kill a Mockingbird."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts