A Few Words on Polaris

In today’s growing and changing culture, it is unusual for a small college to continue to develop a professional literary journal. However, for my university, the English Department values its literary journal – Polaris.

Polaris submission promotion poster. (photo/polarislitmag.wix.com)


This is my third year as a staff member for the journal and my second as the Production Manager.

What are my tasks as the Production Manager? It is certainly not an easy job. I develop the production schedule, make sure the genre section editors stay on task with their work, and most importantly, I collect the contracts from our contributing writers. 

Polaris production schedule. (photo/Kasy Long)


In late February and early March, my e-mail Inbox is full with e-mails from undergraduate students from across the country – or even the world! Last year, we published work from two students attending college in the United Kingdom. Polaris has gained international recognition! 

These talented writers send their contracts to me, acknowledging that Polaris has the legal right to publish their work. I collect their biography statements, and I make sure each writer is happy with their experience as becoming a published writer in Polaris.

It is definitely an honor to be published in Polaris, as we are one of the oldest university literary journals in the country.

Like I said before, being the Production Manager isn’t easy. I have to keep my work organized in an Excel spreadsheet. I keep the documents in order, and if I lose any one document, it could slow down our production process. We definitely don’t have time for an interruption. 

Even though my job is difficult, I love it. I love my fellow staff members. I love working toward a goal. I love seeing the production process one-on-one. When I submit my own written work to literary journals, I know the process those editors have in selecting their material.

Polaris is a small-town university literary journal, yet we publish the best work we receive. We create a sophisticated journal that values creativity in all forms of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction and visual art.

The 2014-15 edition of Polaris. (photo/Kasy Long)


If you are a writer or an artist, you have time to submit to Polaris. Our deadline is February 1. Visit the link below for more information.


Write on!


-KJL-

Comments

  1. Wow, you have been a busy student. Glad you have found something special to fill in your time on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent literary journal that you and the other staff members enjoy and take pride in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely keeps you busy and gives you tools you will be using in your career as a writer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts