Inspire Great Music for Spring 2021

I don't know about anyone else, but music often influences my mood as I work. I listen to music when I'm writing, and it helps set the right tone and mood. As I work on my first full-length novel (which is really exciting, by the way!), I have a playlist that is specially geared toward my writing project. As a hint, the music playlist is an assortment of classic road trip songs, so you know those are fun to listen to as I write! 

I believe there's a song for every mood. Lyrics tell stories, and some songs might be more significant to you depending on your life experiences. Rhythms send chills down your spine. We fall in love with songs because of how they make us feel. 

When I listen to music, I feel more engaged in my work--more energized and I get more accomplished. I know I'm not alone with feeling this way. 

In this post, I'm here to offer five songs I am currently listening to on repeat this spring season. These songs speak to me in a way I need them most right now. They might not be popular releases, but I love them and I'll happily hit the "repeat button" over and over again. That's the great thing about music. Everyone has different tastes and interests. 

Here's what I'm currently listening to, so get ready to listen and feel inspired.

1. "Change" - Taylor Swift 

Taylor Swift's new version of Fearless (photo/Reddit).

On April 9, Taylor Swift released new recordings of her 2008 album, Fearless. This is her updated version of the album after her rights were previously sold. Now, Taylor owns her version of her songs--the way it should be. 

I love every song on the Fearless album. I have been a fan of Taylor Swift's music since I was in middle school--ever since I listened to Fearless for the very first time. So, this was really special to hear the songs again in a slightly different way. Like Taylor Swift, I'm older now and I appreciate some of the lyrics now as an adult. 

I could have chosen any song to feature in this post, but I chose the one I have been playing over and over again since the new album was released: "Change." I loved this song when it was originally released, but this time is different. Taylor wrote about how things can change in one night. She didn't back down. She started a revolution and she is a champion. I think the lyrics have more meaning now that Taylor is 31 years old and she's looking back at her career. She has overcome so many trials and complications. She has been criticized by bullies and the media. She had her music stolen from her. 

But now, she's a champion. She owns her music again. She never gave up on her dreams and she can sing "hallelujah." Her fans are singing "hallelujah" with her. 

2. "Belief" - Gavin DeGraw

Gavin DeGraw (photo/The Tennessean)

In 2019, I explained that I was watching One Tree Hill for the first time with my sister. I shared the show's theme song, Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want to Be," in the blog post, expressing that the song was still relevant today. It was the perfect theme song for the show.

Well, after two years, I have finished watching the show. During the series finale, DeGraw was featured in a special concert in the show's fictional Tric nightclub. He performed a variety of his own songs, including "I Don't Want to Be." However, I particularly enjoyed the performance of his 2003 song, "Belief." 

The song is played during the final wrap-up scenes of the show's characters: Haley and Nathan walking and kissing in the rain (sentimental to the couple), Julian surprising Brooke by purchasing her childhood home for them to raise their family in together, and Clay and Quinn tucking their son into bed. The characters believed in each other. Throughout all of the drama during the show's nine seasons, they believed in their future and what they could accomplish together. This was the perfect song for the finale. 

3. "We Could Form an Attachment" - Kris Bowers

The Netflix series Bridgerton (photo/MSU Reporter).

In December 2020, Netflix released a new historical drama, Bridgerton. Based on the book series by Julia Quinn, the drama focuses on the Bridgerton family, mainly the siblings. It was a smash hit for Netflix, and fans, including myself, adored the Regency England time period.

I loved the first season of the show. The eldest daughter, Daphne, knows she must marry, and marry well, or else her reputation and social ranking will be ruined. She meets Duke Simon Basset, who doesn't want to get married. He's far from her idea of a "perfect man." However, Daphne and Simon can't deny the chemistry between them. 

While I loved the story, I also loved the show's soundtrack. Composed by Kris Bowers, the show features classical music, as well as remixes of modern songs set to the classical music genre. The music is engaging and adds more drama to the scenes.

Bowers' original composition, "We Could Form an Attachment," is featured at the end of the show's first episode. Daphne and Simon agree to pretend to court each other. If he is attached to someone, he won't feel pressured to marry. If she is attached, other eligible men will find her desirable. It's a win-win situation for everyone. As Daphne and Simon propose this agreement and make their entrance at a ball, Bowers' music accompanies the scene. It's beautiful and it was one of the reasons I was hooked on the show. After watching the scene, I knew I had to keep watching the show. 

I have always loved movie and TV soundtracks, and the soundtrack for Bridgerton is one of my current favorites. Listen to this song (and others from the soundtrack) and you'll know why. 

4. "Full Moon Rising" - Neil Halstead 

Neil Halstead's album, Palindrome Hunches (Amazon.com).

As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog post, I love to listen to music while I'm writing. I have a playlist specifically geared towards my current writing project. This includes Neil Halstead's 2012 song, "Full Moon Rising." 

This indie/folk song is meant to be played while you're driving alone at night. Perhaps you can see the full moon from your car window as you drive. Maybe you're upset and you need to be alone. This song sets the perfect mood and tone for this situation. 

With my writing project, I envision my characters listening to the song as they embark on a cross-country road trip. They're upset, but they just keep driving. This song would be the perfect soundtrack for this scene. 

5. "We Belong" - Pat Benatar 

Pat Benatar (photo/Song Meanings and Facts)

I'm taking us back to the 1980s with this final selection: Pat Benatar's 1984 song, "We Belong." Known for other '80s hits, including "Love is a Battlefield" and "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," Benatar delivered classic rock love anthems. After listening to them, it's easy to feel inspired and to want to be in love. 

"We Belong" is a promise to fight for love. No matter what you might experience or how much you might deny the feelings, people who are in love belong together. Benatar sings, "We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder...We belong, we belong, we belong together." There is no turning back. 

We belong. It's that simple. 

---

I love discovering new songs, or even listening to songs I already love over and over again. Music is one of the most powerful creative tools in existence. Music is inspiring and it motivates me to work harder. 

There is a song for everyone, and these songs are the ones that are currently speaking to me. Find your own songs and slap the "repeat" button this season. Dance and sing along to the songs. I won't judge you. I would happily join you! 

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts