Inspire Appreciation for Coal Miners


"Behind every strong coal miner, there is an even stronger family who stands by them, supports them, and loves them with all their heart." 

That describes my family. I am a proud member of a family of coal miners. My grandfather was a coal miner. His father was a coal miner. My great-grandfather (on my grandma's side of the family) owned a coal mine. My cousin worked as a coal miner.

To put it simply, coal mining is in my blood--even though I have never spent a day in a mine. But I am deeply enrooted to mining because my family would not be the same without the traditions established by coal mining. I am a coal miner's granddaughter, and I am ever so proud to give myself that label.

My grandfather.

December 6 is National Miner's Day. It is a day to honor the 325,000 men and women who work in nearly 13,000 surface and underground mines in the United States. It's also a day to remember past miners, who often worked in more severe conditions (because the coal mining industry has changed a bit since the days when my grandfather was working in the 1940s).

As we celebrate National Miner's Day, we must recognize the hard work and sacrifice miners continuously make to support their families. This hard work keeps our nation strong and prosperous. Just like we depend on farmers to provide food for our meals, we depend on coal miners to provide heat and extract coal for products we use every day.

A group of coal miners in West Virginia (photo/Forbes).

Miners are skilled, hardworking, and they are proud to be a miner. My grandfather was a member of the United Mine Workers of America for 81 years. He proudly wore his ball cap with the pins to indicate the number of years he was a union member. In return, the union supported him and took care of him after his retirement.

My grandfather's UMWA ball cap and a retiree mug.

My grandfather's coal mining hat. 

Coal mining equipment and coal.

My grandfather's coal mining shovel. 

My grandfather's coal mining pick. 

My grandfather had lifelong friendships with fellow coal miners. Just like firefighters, police officers, and military veterans have a bond that can't be broken, coal miners stand united--no matter what. They understand what it is like to go underground--into the dark--and work for long hours. They understand the fear that every time you go underground, you might not make it back up again. You might not make it back home, so you kiss your loved ones goodbye every day--as if it might be the last time you will ever see them.

Coal miners understand this, and they still work hard. They say a prayer and hope they will always see the sunlight once again. Their families say the same prayer.

(photo/Pinterest)

Coal mining families are proud of their heritage. They're proud of the men who worked in the mines--who learned how to be strong men. They're proud of the traditions, and they're proud to see the current generation inherit those same values. Once you're a coal mining family, you never stop. Coal mining is in your blood.

(photo/Pinterest)

We're occasionally reminded to thank a veteran. Thank a police officer. Thank a firefighter. Don't forget to also thank a coal miner. They endure dangerous conditions to provide for others. They deserve a worthy "thank you" and a pat on the back.

Thank you, miners.

Thank you, Papaw. I'm proud to be a coal miner's granddaughter. Always and forever.

-KJL-



Comments

Popular Posts