Inspire Reflection: 25 Things About Me



I turned 25 years old on Monday, November 18. I turned a quarter of a century old, which always feels like a monumental celebration. I'm in the middle of my 20s, which is an exciting time. I'm comfortable in this phase of my life. I have all of the confidence that this year is going to be great and I have faith that God is going to use me in ways I don't even know about yet. But I trust Him that these plans--that these life changes--will be so rewarding. 

In honor of my 25th birthday, I took on the challenge of writing 25 things about myself. It was tough because I'm not very comfortable talking about myself. In college, on the first day of classes, professors always ask you to introduce yourself and say something interesting about yourself. I always didn't know what to say. Yes, I know myself pretty well and I have plenty of interesting things to say, but I still never know what to say about myself.

Which is why I used Facebook and Instagram to ask my followers to send me questions to answer. I received several intriguing, thought-provoking questions. It was fun to answer them! So, I present to you 25 things and facts to learn about me, the person behind this blog. Enjoy!

1. When did you start blogging and why? 
That's a good question because my blog is very different now than it was when I started it in 2016. During my junior year of college, I took a social media class. We were required to start a blog for a semester-long project. We were assigned to write three blog posts every week (one post about our personal lives, another post about news in communications or social media, and another post about our textbook reading material). 

When the class ended, I wanted to continue writing the blog. I took a small break from it during my senior year (because I was busy). But after I graduated, I redesigned the blog, focusing on lifestyle, personal and writing topics, and I haven't looked back since! 

2. When did you know you wanted to be a writer? 
This is easy. I have always been a creative person. Since my childhood, I have loved using my imagination to create something worthwhile. When I was 10 years old, I started writing longer short stories. They were...interesting. Let's just say, they were wacky but fun. However, that's when I fell in love with writing. I loved imagining characters and thinking of a story. I loved physically writing out the story. It was FUN. That's when I knew I wanted to grow up and be a writer. From that moment on, nothing else appealed to me. I knew I was meant to be a writer, and that feeling hasn't changed. 

Using a typewriter at the American Writers Museum in Chicago.

3. What written piece are you most proud of? 
I'll split this into two categories: creative and professional work. For my creative writing, I'm most proud of the poem "Night Swim," published in 'The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle,' the creative journal of the international English honor society. The prose piece started as an experiment and it was rewarding to witness its evolution. I was happy it was selected for the prestigious publication. 

For my professional work, in September, I wrote a historical feature story about my family's church, which celebrated its 200th anniversary of continuous service. It was humbling to work on the piece that so closely connected to my family's heritage. I learned a lot about where I came from, and I was happy to share it with readers in my town's local newspaper. I'm excited to see which stories I will write in the future. I love finding good stories! 

4. What's your job, exactly? 
Sometimes, I still ask myself that same question: What is my job? I feel like I have many jobs. I'm a full-time freelance writer and editor. I complete digital content writing assignments for one client. I write feature stories for another client. I recently completed a digital editing assignment for another client. I work for many clients and use my skills to complete assignments for them. It's a busy job, but I'm privileged to work on something new all the time. My job is always something different. It can be fun! 

5. What feeds your soul? 
Several things: My family, friends, my faith, and my passions (writing, reading, classic movies and television shows, music, art, etc.). It's that simple. 

6. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you visit? 
If I owned a passport and wasn't afraid of flying (which I am), I would love to visit France (I studied French in high school and college), Italy (home of Shakespeare's greatest romances and pasta), and Greece. But in the United States (where I don't need a passport to travel), I have always wanted to visit the New England states, specifically Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts during the fall season. It would also be nice to visit Hollywood, but I suspect the city is nothing like it was in the 1950s. 

(photo/The Wandering Lens)

7. Do you regret anything in your life? 
I think everyone regrets 'something' in life. You remember a mistake you made years ago and you regret it. However, I know that you can't change anything about the past. It happened. Regretting it and dwelling on it isn't going to help you. You won't get anywhere by doing that. So, I may feel regret, but I have learned to let it go. At the moment, I can't think of something I truly regret. 

8. When was the last time you laughed at yourself? 
I laugh at myself about every day. I don't know if other people find me funny, but I crack myself up, especially if I make a pun without even trying. Puns make me giggle. I love puns! What's my favorite pun to this day? I saw a cup once that had a picture of Edgar Allan Poe. It read "Poe me another cup." That cracks me up. Poe me another cup. Hehehe...

(photo/Sarcastic ME)

9. What's the best thing about being in your 20s? 
People say that your 20s are the best years of your life. There's a sense of adventure during this phase of life. We're young, active, and as of right now, we don't have as many responsibilities as adults older than us. We're starting our careers, following our passions, and falling in love with ourselves. We're learning more about who we are as individuals. 

10. What's the worst thing about being in your 20s? 
The expectations. In your 20s, society has convinced you that you should get married, start having children, start getting successful in your career, etc. If you don't follow those expectations (if you're not married or have children by a certain age), you're seen as less successful than others. There is a lot of pressure to be like everyone else. 

11. What's your favorite college memory? 
The person who asked this is one of my very best friends from college (S/O to you, if you're reading this). My favorite college memories were with my friends--whether it was going out to eat at local restaurants, ordering pizza and watching movies, etc. It's hard to pick just one memory. How can you pick one memory out of four glorious years? I went to a college out-of-state and I was out of my comfort zone. However, I met people who welcomed me with open arms and I was so comfortable with them. They were my people and I loved going on adventures with them. I miss them so much.



12. Which is better--Ohio or Indiana? 
I went to college in Ohio, but I grew up in Indiana. The states are pretty similar. They're both typical Midwestern states. I'll always pick Indiana because it's my home state. I'm a Hoosier, but I'm happy to have been an honorary Ohioan for four years. 

13. Who is your biggest influence in life? 
That's easy: My mother. She's a stay-at-home mom and she works hard to care for the family she loves. She's strong, loving, and she always knows the right answers. She's eager to help us, no matter what. I hope I grow up to be just like her. I know she's reading this blog post (she reads everything I write). So, hi, Mom. I love you. 



14. If you weren't a writer, what do you think your job would be? 
If I didn't decide to become a full-time writer, I think I would have continued my education and focused on becoming a college professor. I love academia and I grew up on a college campus (my dad works at a college). Academia has always felt like home. 

15. Who are your favorite writers? 
Good question. I have many influences: Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Walt Whitman, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Toni Morrison, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters (specifically Charlotte, my favorite), Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, Judy Blume, Joyce Carol Oates, Beverly Lewis, Karen Kingsbury, and many, many more. 



16. What's the best book you have ever read? 
How much time do you have? This is a very difficult question for me to answer. I have read so many great books, including "To Kill a Mockingbird" (Harper Lee), "The Great Gatsby" (F. Scott Fitzgerald), "The Bluest Eye" (Toni Morrison), "The Bell Jar" (Sylvia Plath), "Little Women" (Louisa May Alcott), "Anne of Green Gables" (L.M. Montgomery), "Jane Eyre" (Charlotte Bronte), and anything by Jane Austen. A contemporary novel I really enjoyed was Judy Blume's "In the Unlikely Event." I read the book last year and I haven't forgotten about it since. 

17. If you were stuck on a deserted island, what would you bring with you? 
Besides my family, I would bring a notepad. I would at least find some time to finally write without any distractions! 

18. If your house was on fire, what three things would you save? 
Again, besides my family, I would bring my grandfather's fiddle, my grandfather's ukulele, and a photo album. 

19. If you had a last meal, what would it be? 
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and homemade dinner rolls. I would pick the Old Mill Restaurant in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. I have shared the restaurant before on the blog. Delicious! Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn fritters, and corn chowder. Yum...

The corn fritters and corn chowder at the Old Mill Restaurant in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Yum!

20. Is it easy for you to get to know someone? 
This is a complex question. I'm a shy person. I'm definitely an introvert. It's difficult for me to meet new people because I'm shy. However, once I meet someone and start talking to them, I'm pretty open with them. It's not difficult for me to make friends and form a bond with someone. It's just difficult for me to approach someone new. I hope that makes sense.

21. How long have you been a fan of I Love Lucy
I have mentioned my love for 'I Love Lucy' and Lucille Ball on the blog. I grew up watching the show. I have been a fan since I was two years old. Funny story: When I was two, my mother and I were at KMart (Remember when Kmart was the place to buy groceries?). I was sitting in the shopping cart when all of a sudden, I started exclaiming, "I kissed Bill Holden! I kissed Bill Holden! I kissed Bill Holden!" 

Now, if you're familiar with 'I Love Lucy,' then you probably know this is a line from the episode 'L.A. at Last.' Lucy kissed Hollywood heartthrob William Holden. I must have thought that was funny because I decided to repeat it in the middle of a busy grocery store. My mother, also a fan of 'I Love Lucy,' thought it was hilarious. To this day, 'L.A. at Last' is my favorite episode of 'I Love Lucy' because of that story. I loved it when I was two and I still love it now. 



22. Why do you prefer the classics over modern television shows and movies? 

I want to say that the classics are better than modern TV shows and movies, but there are several good TV shows and movies being made today. So, I'll try a different approach to answering the question. I think I was born in the wrong era. Ever since my childhood, I have been fascinated by the 1950s and '60s. I love the fashion, entertainment, and traditions. TV shows and movies were creative and beautifully produced. Stars were classy and they were committed to producing the best entertainment for their audiences. The shows and movies were wholesome and simply fun. I watch modern TV shows and movies ('Stranger Things' and 'This Is Us,' for example), but I will always have a special place in my heart for the classics. They make up my personality. 

23. What's the best piece of advice you have been given? 
My grandfather once said, "You're never too old to learn something new." He lived to be 102 years old and he was still learning something new up until the very end of his life. I think so many of us assume when we're working in our professions, we have to be experts at our job. We should know everything. That isn't always true. You might learn a new concept you had never previously considered, and that's okay. Being willing to learn something shows that you're willing to grow. There's nothing wrong with that. 

24. What is something you hope people think about you? 
I hope people think of me as a kind, caring individual who likes to help others. I hope they think I'm dependable and that they can trust me. If they can, I think I have accomplished my goal in life. 

25. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
In 10 years, I'll be 35. That's a weird thought. I don't really know what the future holds. Maybe I'll be married and have children. Maybe I'll have a different career in writing. Maybe I'll be living somewhere else. I don't really know what will happen, but I have faith that it will be the best life. I look forward to the adventures ahead. 



---

Thanks for reading and learning more about me. Thank you for playing a role in my 25 years! I'll see you again in five years when I make a similar post for my 30th birthday.

-KJL-





Comments

Popular Posts