Weekend Writing: Reviewing Karen Kingsbury's "Forgiven"


"If I've learned anything from God, it's that God still works miracles." - Karen Kingsbury, "Forgiven" 

Every book I read from Karen Kingsbury keeps getting better and better. Her "Life-Changing" fiction is comforting, inspirational, and impacts readers in ways we hardly expect. I have been enjoying her Firstborn series--a continuation of the Baxter Family series established in the Redemption series. I love the Baxters, but as I expressed in my last book review (of Fame), I love the Firstborn series, as well. I enjoy reading about Dayne Matthews--the Hollywood heartthrob--and Katy Hart, the small-town, innocent Christian girl who works as a director of the Christian Kids Theater (CKT) in Bloomington, Indiana.

Karen Kingsbury's "Firstborn" series (photo/Amazon.com).

Forgiven continues the story of Dayne and Katy. As we know from Fame, Dayne and Katy connected while she was auditioning for one of his movies. They formed a bond we often dream about. Katy tried her best to deny her feelings. After all, Dayne is a Hollywood heartthrob who is always in the tabloids--presented as Hollywood's "party boy" who has a different "girlfriend" every weekend. Katy couldn't possibly be attracted to him, but that's not Dayne. The tabloids presented Dayne in the wrong light. Yes, he has partied and been with women, but not as much as the tabloids exploit.

Karen Kingsbury's "Forgiven."
When Katy learns more about him and how he isn't a "Hollywood bad boy," she can't deny her feelings. Even though she didn't accept the movie offer in Fame, Dayne and Katy have a connection they can't ignore.

But while Katy is working on auditions for the upcoming CKT production of Annie, tragedy strikes the CKT community. A terrible, heartbreaking car accident kills one of the leading girls (Sarah Jo Stryker) and a young boy, Ben Hanover, who was a younger brother of one of the girls in the productions. They were killed by a drunk driver, which is incredibly difficult for the CKT kids to understand and move on from. Several of the children (especially the teenagers) are full of hate for the drunk driver. Katy must work with the teenagers and urge them that there is an incredible power and strength in forgiveness.

Katy prays: "God, this one is Yours, too, no matter what he's done. Show him the way to forgiveness. Please." 

The CKT deaths broke my heart, but it was enjoyable to read about how the other children rose above the tragedy. They learned from the deaths. They learned that during their sufferings, God brings them comfort. The group formed a strong bond with each other and worked together in ways that only God provides. The deaths happened and they couldn't change that. The only thing they could do is come together and show love and forgiveness for all. As the reader, it was very rewarding to watch the transformation of the kids' feelings. They ended up producing Annie and it was the best production ever.

Now, what about Dayne? The main focus of this novel, I think, is the story of Katy and the CKT kids. They experience a tragedy no one should ever encounter. Those kids shouldn't have died, but it happened. At the same time, Dayne is still struggling with his identity. He knows he is a member of the Baxter family. He was John and Elizabeth's firstborn son. But, they had to give him up for adoption because he was born out of wedlock. They were in college, not married, and Elizabeth's parents forced her to give up the child.

Dayne knows this information, but that doesn't mean he isn't suffering. Just like Katy, he's dealing with forgiveness. He hopes he can one day be forgiven by God for his past mistakes, but he also needs to forgive his birth parents for giving him up for adoption. Forgiveness is an important theme in this novel, hence the title, and Karen Kingsbury provided examples of forgiveness. You need to ask for forgiveness for your sins, but you also have to forgive others. It's a difficult task to offer forgiveness, but when you do, it's a miracle from God.

(photo/Quotefancy)

Karen Kingsbury (photo/Hollywood Reporter)
Overall, Forgiven has many emotional highs and lows. Of course, the devastating car accident with the CKT kids is an emotional roller coaster. Watching Dayne struggle with his identity and faith is another "low point." But, seeing the CKT kids unite and form a strong bond together is the high point. It's what you want to happen as the reader. Kingsbury continues her phenomenal writing style of being inspirational and writing about love, happiness, pain, and sadness. You can't help but love her characters--all of them. Even though I didn't know Ben Hanover that well, I was devastated that he died.

You want the best for these characters. When I'm reading Kingsbury's novels, her characters are like family members to me. I'm drawn to their stories. Just like every other book, I found myself racing to the end of Forgiven. I had to know what would happen next. I had to know how the production of Annie would go. I had to know how the CKT kids would work together. I had to know how Dayne would learn to forgive. I had to know how Dayne and Katy would reunite and continue to fall more and more in love with each other.

I'll continue to work my way through the Firstborn series. I love this series so much. I am very invested in Dayne and Katy's stories, both together and separate. I love the CKT and Katy's involvement as the director. I love learning about Dayne and how he's struggling to choose between his Hollywood life and a life with the Baxters and Katy. I'm in love with these characters and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Until next time...

-KJL-



Comments

Popular Posts