Inspire Appreciation for Vintage Clothing



I hear this all the time: "Isn't vintage clothing just old used clothes?" Yes, it's old. Yes, it's sometimes used. But listen, honey, vintage clothing is more than that. It's a reminder of the past, and whether you like it or not, vintage trends are making a comeback. So, get ready for it.
1950's fashion (photo/Pinterest).

In May, I wrote about my appreciation for antiques. In the post, I explained that vintage items may be old, but they can be new to you. There's a history behind the items--where they came from and who originally owned them. You don't get that when you buy brand-new clothes from a retail store.

I love looking at my grandmother's vintage jewelry, scarves, hats, dresses, and additional accessories. I'm not afraid to wear these items in public. In fact, I proudly display them for others to see! I love wearing vintage dresses on special occasions. It's my unique style, and I love it.

Here's why we should appreciate vintage clothing:

1. They're unique. 

A floral 1960's dress (photo/Kasy Long).
Yes, vintage clothing is strictly unique. Like I said, you can't find dresses like these at stores like Macy's, Kohl's, etc. You may find modern-day versions of these dresses, but not true vintage dresses that originated from the 1940s, '50s, and '60s.

When you buy a vintage dress, we can assume you won't be wearing the same dress as your friends when you attend a formal dinner party or dance. You're wearing a one-of-a-kind dress that isn't easily replicated. You will stand out from the crowd with your polka-dot prints, pintucks, elaborate bows, and more.

2. They have good quality, too. 

A floral 1950's dress (photo/Kasy Long).
I don't think they make clothing quite like they did back in the "good old days," unless you buy clothing from an expensive luxury designer. Before the 1970s when polyester was introduced, clothing was made to last a lifetime, and women could sew their own dresses. The goal was "quality over quantity." Many women couldn't afford a large wardrobe of dresses, especially after the Great Depression. With this in mind, dresses were constructed to last for years with French seams, generous hems, and delicately crafted buttons that would never fall off the dress.

Have you ever noticed that vintage dresses feel "heavy" in the material? That's because the dresses wouldn't tear or create holes. Women would have to try really hard to ruin a dress. So, if you want high-quality clothing, look no further than vintage clothing.

3. They're cheaper. 

A floral vintage dress (photo/Kasy Long).
Head on over to a vintage shop or flea market. You would be surprised how inexpensive many vintage clothing items are at these markets. You're not buying a new, trendy piece of clothing. While it's true that prices for vintage clothing might fluctuate, depending on the market you attend, it's still cheaper than if you shop at a retail department store.

Besides, you're buying a priceless (and timeless) piece of history. Maybe this is just me, but I would much rather spend money knowing I'm purchasing a high-quality vintage dress that has a story behind it than a dress from a retail store that is similar to hundreds of other dresses.

But that's just me.

4. They have stories. 

A formal 1950's dress (photo/Kasy Long).
This leads me to my next point: Vintage clothing has a story behind the items. Every vintage garment comes with a story. You can trace the origin back to the 1940s and learn about the person who originally owned the clothing.

For example, my pearl necklaces, scarves, purses, brooches, etc., were owned by my grandmother and great-grandmother. Every time I wear these items, I know that I'm wearing a piece of them and their history. I'm wearing something they owned and wanted to pass down to their grandchildren. Even though I never met my great-grandmother, it's nice to own a small part of her.

And I hope to one day pass these items down to my children, too.

5. You turn something "old" into something "new." 

A 1960's dress (photo/Kasy Long).
Yes, vintage clothing is old. You can't change that. But, vintage garments can be new to you. You can iron them, press them, and maybe even add a new accessory item to make them feel new. There's nothing wrong with taking something from the past and tweaking it a bit to accommodate to the present.

You can work your magic. It's better to transform a vintage item into an appropriate piece of clothing for 2018 than to just leave it behind, collecting dust in a closet. You're reinventing the items, and as far as I'm concerned, that's never a bad thing.

---

A 1950's dress (photo/Pinterest)
When people ask why I love vintage clothing so much (and the 1950s, for that matter), I have the same response every time: Why not? Why not love vintage clothing? Why wouldn't I want to play "dress up" and wear formal dresses with the big petticoats?

Vintage clothing has a soul. It's history. It's art. It's stories about a time long before us. Owning vintage clothing is a way to keep those histories and people alive. They're forever a part of us--every time you put on the polka-dot dress that looks exactly like Lucille Ball's iconic dress on I Love Lucy, attach the decorative pearl necklace around your neck, slip on white gloves, grab your clutch purse, and slip on your black high heels.

If you own vintage clothing, you'll always make a statement, no matter where you go. It's just special, and I'm confident it always will be.

Now, this vintage queen just needs to find a sock hop party to go to...

-KJL-








Comments

Popular Posts