Weekend Writing: Reviewing Karen Kingsbury's "Reunion"


"She liked thinking that people in heaven had a window to earth, a way to see what they needed to pray about, but through the tearless veil of heaven's understanding." - Karen Kingsbury, "Reunion" 

I'm going to be honest right now: There will be spoilers in this book review, so I'm warning you. If you don't want the Baxter Family series to be ruined for you, I suggest you stop reading.

Because we have some serious things to talk about.

This book made me cry. I don't cry very often, but this book was my undoing. Reunion is the final book in the "Redemption" series of Karen Kingsbury's Baxter Family series. After five books, I concluded the series, but I wasn't ready. I wanted more. 

Karen Kingsbury's "Redemption" series (photo/Kalyn Brooke).

The book begins with a startling sentence: "Elizabeth Baxter found the lump on March 7."

You should know right away that this book isn't going to be a happy, feel-good book. Instead, it was emotionally draining. Elizabeth Baxter is the mother of the family--the person who takes care of the family. She does anything for her children. She was the family's heartbeat. She was at the center of the good and bad, and now she's facing her greatest challenge of all: cancer.

Karen Kingsbury's "Reunion"
(photo/Goodreads.com).
Kingsbury is a master at description. She described every detail about Elizabeth's cancer, but also about how the Baxter family deals with this sudden heartbreaking change. Elizabeth's husband, John, is a doctor, but no matter how hard he tries, he can't heal his wife. She's slipping away from him--from the whole family--and there's nothing they can do but pray for a miracle.

But Elizabeth isn't afraid of death. That's one of the primary lessons from the book. God is healing Elizabeth--by bringing her home to Him. While she may be leaving her family, she's going home to a better place.

Elizabeth wanted to make sure she didn't leave, however, before two important events: a family reunion with her children and their families, and Ashley's wedding to Landon Blake. It was important for the family to reunite--for one final time. Everyone knew Elizabeth wouldn't live to the holiday season, so they had to use this time to say their goodbyes. They also used Ashley's wedding to Landon Blake (my favorite couple) as another way to celebrate the joys. As Elizabeth shared, "God is so good to us." She felt that way, even though she was dying.

And Elizabeth died ten days later. It was an emotional ending. Elizabeth met someone who she had been separated from for nearly 35 years (but I'm not going to spoil who that person is because that story will be discussed in the Firstborn series). Elizabeth had closure at the end of her life, and she truly was content.

Karen Kingsbury (photo/Fantastic Fiction)
She wasn't scared or angry about dying--because she was blessed with a wonderful life. She had five children with a man she loves with her whole heart. She watched all five of them marry their soulmates, and she was able to meet several of her grandchildren. She lived the best life possible, and she was finally ready to return home.

When John pleaded that he wished he would go with her, too, she rejected the idea. The Baxter family needs a leader, and John is that person. Elizabeth was the rock of the family, but John was the leader. Besides, she said, "God wants me to go ahead and help get things ready."

"For what, sweet Elizabeth?" John asked.

"For the greatest reunion ever."

When Elizabeth died, I was sad, just like the Baxters. This character felt so real. As I was reading, I felt like Elizabeth was like my own mother, because my mother shares many of the same qualities as Elizabeth Baxter. So, when Elizabeth died, I felt like a friend was leaving me.

I get so attached to these characters. I don't want anything bad to happen to them, but good books--good literature-- need complications. Characters need to be tested, just like people. The Baxters are some of the strongest Christians I know, and they were tested during this season of life. But, I believe they came out stronger.
(photo/Kasy Long)

It reminds me of a verse from John 14:27: "Peace I leave with you...Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Elizabeth wasn't afraid of death. She felt peaceful, and by her behavior, her family was wrapped in a sense of peace and hope for the future. Even though Elizabeth died, the Baxter family will move on...just like they always do. They will be stronger, and I look forward to reading more about the family in future books.

But man, oh man...This book moved me to tears. I cried so much, so doesn't that mean it's a good book? I was attached to the characters and the situation. I couldn't stop reading. There was one moment when I said, "Darn you, Karen Kingsbury!"

But not really. Bless you, Karen Kingsbury. Thank you for introducing the Baxter family into our lives. While we had to say goodbye to Elizabeth Baxter, she will always be a presence in the family. She's just getting ready for the best reunion of all.

Read on.

-KJL-

---

I will be on vacation next week, so I will be taking a short break from the blog. I will return on Wednesday, August 29. Until then! 


Comments

Popular Posts