Inspire Great Music for Summer 2018



I'll be the first to admit that the summer season is a busy time of the year. You're always "on the go," whether it's to a new vacation spot, swim lessons, the park, parties, or more. You're in your car--driving to your next destination.

(photo/Sleek Magazine)
What do you usually do when you're in the car? That's right, you turn on the radio or your Pandora/iTunes/Spotify accounts. Music becomes your accompaniment as you travel--whether it's across the country on vacation or simply across town. You blast your favorite songs and sing at the top of your lungs like no one is watching you.

Until you look over to your left and notice the person in the car next to yours is watching and laughing at you.

There's a song for everyone. Every lyric tells a story. Certain rhythms and beats send chills down your spine--and you won't be able to forget that song. No, you'll instead play those favorite tunes over and over again--all summer long.
(photo/SUWalls)

That's what I've been doing this summer. I have found five songs that I absolutely love and I keep playing them on repeat over and over again until I'll eventually grow tired of them. Then I'll move on to another group of songs, and the cycle continues.

But, here's my list of the five songs that I believe are perfect for this summer season. All of these songs relate to summer in some way--whether it's in the lyrics, in the beats, or they simply just want you to get up and dance. Host a bonfire and play these tunes, and you'll have yourself a grand time.

1. "I Was Jack (You Were Diane)" - Jake Owen 

If you remember the 1980s, then you probably remember John Mellencamp's hit rock song, "Jack & Diane." It was the song to play on summer road trips. It spent four weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1982, and it is Mellencamp's most successful song to this date. You just can't help but dance along to the song. It's that addictive!

So, when I heard Jake Owen's newest single, "I Was Jack (You Were Diane)" for the first time, I was caught off guard. The beginning of the song mirrors Mellencamp's in a way that I thought I was listening to the original song. Owen references the original song in his single, and the entire song is a reflection of Mellencamp's music.

I'm dancing along to Owen's version of the 1982 classic this summer. It's hard not to love this, and I recently stumbled upon Owen's music video. Can you even call this a music video? No, we'll say it's a movie. There are characters--Jake and Diane. We see their love story unfold, and also what happened to their relationship. This is a clever music video--bringing the past to the present, just like what Owen is doing with the Mellencamp classic.

Sit back and enjoy this music video. Don't be afraid to dance along to the music. You know I am!



2. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - Backstreet Boys 

Okay, okay, humor me here. I'm a '90s kid, so of course, I'm overjoyed that the Backstreet Boys are making a comeback in 2018. It's been nearly 20 years since the boy band's popular hit, "I Want It That Way," was released, so we've been long overdue for a new song.

And that's exactly what the pop group is delivering with "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." The chorus makes me want to dance, and it immediately brings me back to the days when I would listen to the Backstreet Boys on cassette tapes (yes, cassette tapes!) or on the radio with my older sister.

This is one of the best songs this summer. Backstreet's back...And every '90s girl is ready for it.



3. "Simple" - Florida Georgia Line

It's a little ironic to follow a Backstreet Boys song with a Florida Georgia Line song, since the groups collaborated in 2016 with their hit, "God, Your Mama, and Me." Florida Georgia Line's newest hit single, "Simple," is one of my favorite songs from the country duo.

First, it's simply (pun intended) catchy. I can't help but sing along to the lyrics and nod my head to the beat of the chorus. It's a song that beckons you to dance. But, it also delivers an important message: let's live a simple life. Let's be simple. Let's go back to the way things once were before technology and social media invaded everything.

The simple life is better, and because I'm a fan of the vintage lifestyle, I really enjoyed the song's message. Bravo, Florida Georgia Line.



4. "Paradise" - George Ezra 

George Ezra is one of those music artists who appeals to music fans of multiple genres--folk, indie, pop, etc. His music is a mixture of all of those genres. I've been a fan of his music since his hit single, "Budapest," in 2014. I love folk and indie music, so I am always interested in listening to his music.

His newest single, "Paradise," is one of those songs you want to turn on as you travel this summer. It's catchy, has a great beat, and you can't help but feel motivated every time you hear it. The song is simply about finding paradise. You won't regret putting this song on repeat this summer.



5. "Sunrise, Sunburn, Sunset" - Luke Bryan 

I'm a huge country music fan, which is why so much of my selection is from that genre. If you don't like country music, that's okay. You don't have to like it, just like I don't have to like your music either. But, Luke Bryan's newest single, "Sunrise, Sunburn, Sunset," is the definition of a great summer song.

After all, he's literally writing about summer. You watch the morning sunrise, get a sunburn during the day, and then watch the beautiful evening sunset. And then you repeat the cycle the next day, and every day during the summer season. His song describes everything I love about summer: staying up late, being outside in the day, and having fun with my friends and family. This is the song to love this summer.

Do you ever feel like a song was meant for you? Well, this song was meant for me. 




---

Don't you just love music? It's the universal language, isn't it? No matter where you are, people can bond over a great song. Of course, I've been listening to more than five songs this summer, but these five are the ones I've been playing over and over again. They just make me feel good, and that's what you want with a great song. 

I love discovering new songs and watching how the lyrics affect me. So, enjoy these songs, and many more this summer on your road trips or summer adventures. Don't be afraid to hit that repeat button. I certainly am! 

-KJL-





Comments

Popular Posts