Inspire Reflection: My One Year as a College Graduate



My college commencement (photo/Kasy Long).
It's hard to believe I have already been a college graduate for one year now. Last May, I graduated college and began learning how to navigate the seemingly scary, yet exciting, adulthood that I knew I would eventually have to face. Was I ready for it? Sure, of course. Was I still scared? Of course... 

But, a lot of wonderful and beautiful things happened in my first year as a college graduate. For example, I started my first professional job as a content writer and editor for a wonderful magazine. At the same time, I write for the local newspaper and magazine in my hometown--a steady project I enjoy. I established myself as a credible freelance writer in my local community, picking up projects here and there to earn more income. I take on as many projects as I can get--because writers and editors need to work as often as possible to earn a steady income.

Most recently, I started working as a freelance content writer for a virtual multimedia company that enables me to write assignments during my own time. I choose my assignments and write fun lifestyle pieces for the company. Honestly, I'm very fortunate to have picked up this freelance job on top of my other work--because it's a consistent income that I really need as a working writer and editor.

(photo/jaymcbain.com)
With this in mind, a lot of change happened this year. I wasn't a student anymore; I was a professional. I spent so many years studying and going to classes, and then all of a sudden, that ended. That phase of my life ended. After being a student since I was essentially five years old, school was no longer a part of my life.

And I always liked school.

It was a lot to take in. Don't get me wrong: I was thrilled to be a college graduate. Not everyone is fortunate to graduate college, let alone with a degree in creative writing and literature. But, it was still a transition. I was navigating a new world and learning exactly where I fit.

I'm happy to be working in a field I love. I'm blessed to have found a job in my field right out of college. That doesn't happen to everyone, so I am very fortunate and thankful that things are moving right along the way they are planned. I have to credit God for somehow knowing exactly where I'm meant to be and pushing me to get to that place on my own.

Apart from working, the past year brought new adventures, one I'm not going to share on this blog until a later date. But, I have traveled, explored new places, learned new hobbies, made new friends and colleagues, and joined new organizations.

I still write creative work and a few pieces were selected for publication this year. Not too bad, in my opinion. I'm still working on my creative writing. Even though I'm a working writer and editor, I'm still writing poetry and short stories.

(photo/The Creator Writings)
Because if there's one thing I learned during my first year as a college graduate, it's that it would be a waste of my degree to stop working on my creative writing. After all, I went to college to be a creative writer, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

For those of you who are reading this blog and you're a recent graduate, hang in there during this transitional phase. You'll find your place in this scary world of adulthood, I'm sure. And when you do, you'll discover that everything you learned in college was worth it.

And as I'm discovering now, everything I learned this past year has led me to where I am right now.

-KJL-

P.S. I'm still writing my next chapter.


Comments

  1. Glad you're still writing and dreaming . . . I have enjoyed every part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts