Weekend Writing: Celebrating National Poetry Month



Since 1996, the Academy of American Poets has designated the month of April as National Poetry Month, encouraging others to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. While I appreciate the literary genre every day of the year, I love how readers unite during this month and share our love for poetry with each other. It's almost like we're celebrating poetry's birthday. Happy birthday, poetry!

As I have addressed many times on this blog, I haven't always appreciated poetry. I was once intimated by the genre because it was "too complex" for me to interpret. If I couldn't understand it, I didn't like it.

I was so naive. Back then, I had no idea how much I needed poetry. So much life is written into (most often) such little amount of space. Poets pour out their hearts and souls into each piece, confessing everything about themselves for their readers. They use imagery to symbolize emotions. Poets write the words we need to read and hear, and I'm so glad I'm now deciding to listen.

To celebrate National Poetry Month, below is a list of my ten favorite poets--whose works I find myself crawling towards, desperately needing to read when I need their words. Read these works and so many more this month...and every month that follows.

1. Shel Silverstein 
Shel Silverstein (photo/Academy of American Poets)

I remember a class assignment from elementary school that involved memorizing and reciting a Shel Silverstein poem in a presentation in front of my class. I was anxious at the time, but I also remember having a difficult time choosing which poem I wanted to recite. There were so many great works from Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. These poems were my first "inkling" of poetry, and I only wish I continued to feel the same way throughout my public education school years.

As for Silverstein, well, he's a household name and his books have sold over 20 million copies. I would say that's pretty accomplished...or very accomplished. You can be the judge of that.

2. William Shakespeare 


William Shakespeare (photo/Famous Biographies)
Ah, Shakespeare...The Bard! I would be crazy to leave Shakespeare off of this list. Iambic pentameter, anyone? So much of what poetry is today--even writing and language itself--is because of Shakespeare's writing. While he's known as a playwright, we can't ignore his sonnets.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate." 

Those lines are so iconic. Shakespeare had a way of describing beauty and love that isn't comparable. We nod our heads to you, Shakespeare. Have no fear that your plays and sonnets will continue to be studied for decades to come.

3. Robert Frost 
Robert Frost (photo/Getty Images)

Robert Frost is another poet I remember reading in elementary school, specifically his famous "The Road Not Taken" poem. Can you recite its famous lines?

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood....I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." 

It wasn't until college when I read another Frost poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." Now I would have to say I enjoy this poem more than his most famous piece. Isn't it funny how you can be introduced to something and it replaces a poem you liked for so many years? I like that Frost is a nature poet. I also tend to write about nature; therefore, I will always have a soft spot for the poet.

4. Walt Whitman 


Walt Whitman (photo/NPR)
Again, I would be crazy to leave Whitman off of this list, considering he is referred to as the Father of American Poetry. He was writing during the mid and the late 1800s--in a time in which our country was fighting in a war against each other and new technology was in mass production. Whitman wrote about this culture and history, especially in his most famous poems, "I Hear America Singing" and "O Captain! My Captain!"

Whitman helped make American poetry what it is today, therefore we must remember him this month. He wasn't afraid to write about what he was seeing in the world around him, or about himself. We thank him...our very own Captain.

5. Langston Hughes 
Langston Hughes (photo/Famous Biographies)

Langston Hughes is the writer of the Harlem Renaissance literary era. He was one of the first poets to use jazz rhythms in his works--becoming an early innovator of jazz poetry. His poetry addresses people using language, themes, attitudes, and ideas readers could relate to, and they do. He was the voice of a generation, especially one evolving in an era in which America was constantly changing.

Hughes reflected on his America in his most famous poem, "I Too Sing America." His other famous poem, "Dreams," offers a powerful quote that sends chills down my spine.

"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." 

Wow.

Chills.

6. Gwendolyn Brooks 


Gwendolyn Brooks (photo/Poetry Foundation)
Can I really talk about Langston Hughes and not include Gwendolyn Brooks? I don't think so! Brooks was the first African-American woman to receive the Pulitzer Prize and she is one of the most widely read poets of the 20th century. Many of her works display a political consciousness and reflect the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. 

Brooks once said, "I am a writer perhaps because I am not a speaker." I love that quote because it's so true. Poets (and writers, in general) write what they can't say. They pour their emotions into their pieces, allowing the written word to speak for themselves.

Brooks should be remembered for more than her famous poem "We Real Cool." She wrote more than 20 books of poetry, so go read her work. You won't be sorry!

7. Maya Angelou 
Maya Angelou (photo/Famous Biographies)

Maya Angelou is a prolific poet, with her poetry depicting African-American culture and the strength of the human spirit. She is often referred to as a spokeswoman for African-Americans and women, particularly in her most famous collection, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. Angelou is a poet worthy of celebration this month.

But, she is also celebrated for being a source of motivation for others. After all, she once said, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

So powerful.

8. Pablo Neruda 


Pablo Neruda (photo/Poetry Foundation)
I never heard of Pablo Neruda until I was assigned to read one of his poems in college. But, once I read his work, I never looked back. I read his most well-known poem, "I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love You." It's a beautiful poem.

"In this part of the story I am the one who 
Dies, the only one, and I will die of love because I love you, 
Because I love you, Love, in fire and blood." 

Isn't that so beautiful? Pablo Neruda wrote love poems that we should read all year long.

9. Sylvia Plath 

Sylvia Plath (photo/Poetry Foundation)
I love so many things about Sylvia Plath. She would have to be my second favorite poet of all time, which is why I'm saving her towards the end of my list. Plath wrote about her life as a confessional poet, and these works provide insight into her personal life. Because of her, we have some of the most beautiful poetry ever to be written, from "Daddy" to "Lady Lazarus" and more.

Also, if you have never heard Plath read her poetry, there are many recordings on YouTube. I strongly recommend listening to her because the poems become more "alive." She reads with emotion and it's almost heartbreaking to listen, but it's priceless.

Thank you for your beautiful poetry, Sylvia. We love you.

10. Emily Dickinson 


Emily Dickinson (photo/New Directions Publishing)
Don't even try to act surprised. Of course, Emily Dickinson is my final poet to conclude this list--because she's my favorite! During the 1800s, Emily's poetry style was unlike anyone else's. She was an innovator, who used unconventional techniques to strengthen her voice. The majority of her work wasn't published until after her death, but thank goodness her sister discovered drawers and drawers of her poetry.

Dickinson wrote about life, death, peace, and hope--with one of her most well-known poems, "'Hope' is the thing with feathers," saying, "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul--and sings the tunes without the words--and never stops at all."

I'll always love Dickinson...and you should, too.

---

Poetry is a beautiful genre. Poets pour out their hearts into their works. Some of them choose to share their writings with others, while others publish poems to be read. Poetry is precious and should always be celebrated.

(photo/PictureQuotes.com)
There are so many other poets we should remember, including Edgar Allan Poe, E.E. Cummings, T.S. Eliot, John Keats, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, William Blake, William Wordsworth, Lord Byron, Ezra Pound, Elizabeth Bishop, Allen Ginsberg, and so many more.

Celebrate these poets this month, and every month that follows. If you don't like poetry, try to open yourself up to the genre. You might discover a poet you understand and who speaks to you in ways you never thought would be possible.

We need poetry...because the poets often need us, too.

-KJL-






Comments

Popular Posts