Weekend Writing: Best Love Poems for Valentine's Day



Contrary to what people probably think, love poems are still beautiful gifts to give to your significant other on Valentine's Day. Thankfully, you don't need to write a new poem, especially if the thought of writing poetry scares you out of your mind. There are hundreds of classic love poems for you to include in a card to your beloved. These poems go beyond the "roses are red, violets are blue" poems you probably wrote in elementary school to your childhood sweetie.

"She Walks in Beauty" - Lord Byron 

Lord Byron's poem has survived centuries and continues to stun audiences. "She Walks in Beauty" is arguably the most romantic poem to have been written in English literature. The poet's words are hauntingly beautiful. It's a timeless poem--because who hasn't been entranced by the simple elegance of someone's beauty? There's a reason why this poem has found its way into multiple marriage proposals and wedding speeches.

Lord Byron's "She Walks in Beauty" (photo/Pinterest).


"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)" - e.e. cummings

You can't go wrong with E.E. Cummings. Not only is this a beautiful poem, but the moving lyrics makes it a classic read of itself. Reciting this poem to your significant other on Valentine's Day will be a perfect gift. It shows that their heart is also yours.

E.E. Cummings' "i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)" (photo/tes.com). 


"Sonnet 43" - Elizabeth Barrett Browning 

You had to know this poem was going to be included in the list, right? When you think of love poems, you often think of Browning's "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." It's the definition of a classic love poem.

Let me count the ways I love you. Include this poem in a card with your own reasons why you love your sweetheart, and it'll be a beautiful gift for this Valentine's Day.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "Sonnet 43" (photo/His Mercy is New). 


"Sonnet 18" - William Shakespeare 

Okay, let's move on to an even more recognizable love sonnet from the Bard himself, Shakespeare. Sonnet 18 is Shakespeare's classic love poem: "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate." You probably know those first two lines by heart.

Shakespeare's sonnet might be considered cliche today (overrated, maybe), but it's still a beautiful love poem to give to your beloved.

William Shakespeare's "Sonnet 18" (photo/owlication.com).


"Annabel Lee" - Edgar Allan Poe

A few weeks ago for Poe's birthday, I shared that "Annabel Lee" was my favorite poem of his. It's one of the most beautiful love poems to ever be written, in my opinion. It tells a story, exploring the theme of the death of a beautiful woman. The narrator has a deep love for Annabel Lee, and he always will.

Poe's "Annabel Lee" might not be the most popular love poem on this list, but it's definitely one you should read for Valentine's Day.

Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee" (photo/We Heart It).


"I loved you first: but afterwards your love" - Christina Rossetti 

In this poem, Rossetti writes about a mutual love between two people. Have you ever heard two people having an argument about who is more in love? "I love you more. No, I love you more!" Well, Rossetti's classic poem is a more eloquent version of this conversation.

In the end, love is love--no matter who might love the hardest.

Christina Rossetti's "I loved you first: but afterwards your love" (photo/Pinterest).


"Ditty" - Kevin Young 

Kevin Young is the contemporary poet included in this list, but his poem competes right along with the classics. "Ditty" is my favorite poem in his collection, Jelly Roll. Just tell your lover that you want to watch them walk for a lifetime--meaning you want to be with them for a lifetime--and that's enough to make them swoon.

Kevin Young's "Ditty" (photo/Penguin Random House).

---

Obviously, there are many more love poems that exist in literature, but I can only include a few select pieces in this post. Love poems are beautiful and timeless. Include these famous lines of literature in your Valentine's Day cards and you'll make your significant lover happy.

Or, if you're single (like me), read these poems and dream about someday sharing a love like the ones described in the poems. You don't have to be in a relationship to appreciate a good love poem.

Read on.

-KJL-

Comments

  1. "Ditty" is actually my favorite here- so simple and beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing, what a great post for valentines. P.S.- My sister and I have "I carry your heart" tattooed on us on our sides by our rib, My first tat at 18!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your comment! I love the idea of your "I carry your heart" tattoo.

      Delete
  2. Every woman deserves a man that will love her, understand her and comfort her despite of her flaws and imperfections. True love does not have conditions thus faith and trust. I hope I was able to inspire you with my thoughts if you have some time you can visit my site. Have a nice day always, Cheers!

    Love Poems

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts