Inspire Great Music for Winter 2018



I'm not usually the type of blogger who writes about music. I tend to focus this blog on either writing and reading topics on the weekends, or on lifestyle themes during the week. But, lately I have found songs that speak to me. Music that makes you feel good, feel something real, and captures emotions in often ways words can't. Whenever I am at my writing desk and I work on a new project, these songs are the first ones I think of to play.

(photo/pexels.com)
A love for music runs in my family. My grandfather played the fiddle, and I (along with my two siblings) also played the violin (but he always called it the fiddle, no matter what). My aunts were music teachers and still play music today, and my mother also grew up loving music. 

Music has always been special to me. I can listen to certain songs on repeat for hours and I still won't grow tired of the way the lyrics and music work together. I have realized I go through cycles with music. For months, I love certain songs and then I eventually replace them with new songs I discover. 

It's a continuous cycle: I discover songs and immediately love them, so I'll play them over and over again during the fall season. Then, I'll find new songs in the winter season and play those over and over again until I'm introduced to new songs in the spring season. It's how I work. 

I'm sharing five songs I'm currently listening to on repeat this winter season. Most of these songs aren't new, but I have only recently discovered them, so they're new to me. Isn't that a beautiful thing?

Get ready to listen and be inspired. 

1. Peter Gabriel - "Heroes" 

I know what you're thinking: Isn't this a David Bowie song? Yes, David Bowie wrote and recorded the song in 1977, therefore I must give all credit to the late musician himself. However, Peter Gabriel recorded a cover of the song for his 2010 album, Scratch My Back. The cover features orchestral instrumentation, which I love. 

Peter Gabriel's "Heroes" is featured at the end of the third episode of the
Netflix original series, "Stranger Things" (photo/The Atlantic).
I first heard Gabriel's cover when I was watching a scene from the hit Netflix show, Stranger Things. When I heard the instrumentation, I knew I needed to listen to the full version of the song. The music worked beautifully with the emotional, climatic scene in the show--and the full version did not disappoint. 

We all could be heroes someday, and I really loved the message the song expresses. If you find yourself listening to either Bowie or Gabriel's versions, you will love the song. Personally, I enjoy Gabriel's cover just a bit more because of the powerful instrumentation. I will always have a soft heart for string music. 



2. Brett Eldredge - "The Long Way" 

I am a country music fan. Whenever I have the opportunity to travel to Nashville, I jump at the chance. I'm a fan of Brett Eldredge's music, especially his latest single, "The Long Way." The song tells a narrative of a man wanting to spend as much time with a woman as possible on their date, so he wants to drive the long way around her town. He wants to learn everything about her and see the places she grew up. 

It's a beautiful romantic country song that I have been listening to on repeat lately. Country music stars receive a lot of criticism, but they sure do know how to write love songs. 



3. Joy Division - "Atmosphere" 

Joy Division's "Atmosphere" is featured in the fourth episode of
"Stranger Things" (photo/vulture.com).
Again, another song featured in Stranger Things. Maybe I should just recommend listening to the entire soundtrack from both seasons of the show. Seriously, if you love music from the 1970s and '80s, you will love the music featured in the Netflix original hit. 

Joy Division's song, "Atmosphere," is hauntingly beautiful. It captures real pain. Don't walk away. The lyrics are chilling, but the constant beat of the music is one of the main reasons why I find myself putting this song on repeat. 



4. Keith Urban - "Female" 

Another country song! It's one of Keith Urban's newest singles, but it's a perfect, timely song, especially after Hollywood's sexual harassment events in 2017. Urban wrote the song as a tribute to his daughters. While the song has received some criticism (mostly from people saying, "Who is Urban to tell us who women are?"), I love the song. 

I never interpreted the song as Urban telling women who they are, but rather expressing how much respect he has for women. Women are healers, survivors, daughters, lovers, and individuals who wear suits of armor--all things described in Urban's song. I love his description, therefore I will continue to hit the repeat button on his song. 



5. Cold War Kids - "First" 

I first heard this song in a commercial for a movie (I can't remember the movie), and I loved the music. I'm a fan of indie, folk music. It's probably my second favorite genre of music next to country. "First" is about the first time you meet someone and the relationship is new and exciting. Then, the love fades, but that will always be your first love. 

I love listening to the chorus of this song. I recently rediscovered the song and I fell in love with it again. Let's just say it's been on repeat pretty much nonstop since that rediscovery. 



---

Some of these songs are new (Eldredge and Urban's songs were released in 2017), while the others aren't (Joy Division was a band in the late 1970s). Either way, I recently fell in love with these songs (thanks Stranger Things for helping along the way). Until I discover new songs during the spring season, these five songs will keep me company as I work on my writing. 

Listen to music and be inspired. Hit that repeat button with pride. 

-KJL-







Comments

Popular Posts