Inspire Reflection: 2017 in Review



As I write this blog post, it's hard to believe that we have already arrived at the end of another year. It feels like it wasn't that long ago when I was writing a blog post about 2016, but alas, here we are: already moving on to 2018.

Reflecting on 2017, I think this has been my busiest year yet. I grew as an individual this year in ways I hardly anticipated. I don't want to forget about the year I had because so much happened. Instead of forgetting about 2017, I choose to take this time to reflect on the year I had.

This is celebration. On May 14, I graduated from Ohio Northern University. I reached a milestone after working hard on my education for four years. I earned my degree in creative writing with a minor in literature. I wouldn't have changed anything about my college years because they were my memories. I met my best friends in college, learned and fell in love with books I otherwise would not have picked up, and grew as an individual.

My graduation from Ohio Northern University (photo/Kasy Long).

This is growth. After graduation comes "the real world." I began my professional career as a freelance writer--working for magazines as a writer and editor. I grew as a professional in my field, thus growing as an individual. I established my own literary magazine, Remington Review (which grew in number of submissions this year). I started a YouTube channel, KJ Ricardo, devoted to my love for I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show. My blog even grew (!!!) as I established a theme (inspiration), learned about social media marketing for my posts, and my number of readers grew immensely. Thank you to everyone who helped this past year in my growth.

I started my career as a magazine editor and freelance writer (photo/business2community.com).

This is adventure. Life is about going on adventures. I traveled to Nashville, Tennessee twice this year to go to the Grand Ole Opry. I went to the home of country music, and the adventure was worth the anticipated wait.

My sister and I on the stage at the Grand Ole Opry (photo/Kasy Long).

Adventures don't necessarily have to be travels. Adventures can be exciting new experiences. I met new friends and colleagues this year, mostly from work. I learned to cook new recipes. I discovered a new hobby with bookbinding. I wouldn't trade these adventures for anything, and I can hardly wait for the new adventures in 2018.

This is peace. The year 2017 brought peace and happiness. It was easily one of the best years of my life yet, but I expect there will be even better years in the future. I'm doing what I love--writing and getting paid to do just that. How lucky am I? It brings me peace that I'm confident in my profession and I'm making memories.

I hope all of you had a wonderful year. There's more to come in 2018!

-KJL-




Comments

Popular Posts