Inspire Creative Holiday Decor


Last week, I wrote about how I'm going to devote my blog to holiday festivities this month. I love holiday traditions, and one of these traditions includes decorating my house with holiday decorations. Shortly after Thanksgiving, the Christmas tree goes up and we decorate it with vintage bubble lights, homemade ornaments, and more.

There's nothing quite like seeing the tree light up with festive colors and the yellow star at the top. It's a part of our Christmas traditions--a part of us.


I made this collage of our Christmas tree with homemade ornaments,
using PicMonkey. 
Our fireplace mantle is also decorated with festive lights, vintage decorations (including two Santa Claus candy holders that belonged to my mother when she was a child), and more. These decorations are priceless to our family--and they will always be a part of our Christmas traditions.

I made this collage of our fireplace mantle with vintage decorations, using PicMonkey. 

This year, my family and I decided to make new decorations. Thanks to Pinterest, we found new ideas to make homemade holiday decorations.

First, we painted white mason jars to place in wooden trays, painted with festive-themed writing. A finishing touch is holiday poinsettia flowers. These decorations look classic and elegant, and they are an amazing addition to our house.

I made this collage of the wooden trays my sister and I made, using PicMonkey. 
I also found a creative idea to make a vase out of candy canes. To make this, use a glass jar/cup and tie a rubber band around it. Insert the candy canes around the jar, using the rubber band as a way to attach the candy canes to the jar. Tie a ribbon around the candy canes, and then insert the flower of your choice (I used poinsettia flowers). Now, you have a candy cane vase!

My candy cane vase (photo/Kasy Long). 
My sister and I decorated our own wreath this year. This was our first time making a wreath and it was harder than I thought! Not only is a wreath heavy, but you have to insert the ribbons and ornaments in the right places. Luckily, the wreath turned out exactly the way we wanted!

Our wreath (photo/Kasy Long).
If you have never decorated your own wreath, I highly recommend trying it--at least once in your life. We didn't hang the wreath outside. I know, I know. Wreaths are supposed to go outside, right? Well, we would never see the wreath if it was outside! So, it's proudly placed on our front door (on the inside), and it's a beautiful sight to see every day in our living room!

Finally, my sister and I painted Christmas-themed canvases. I decided to paint "O Christmas Tree," focusing on my love for Christmas trees. In September, I wrote about how my sister and I love to paint. This canvas is a wonderful addition to our collection!

"O Christmas Tree" (photo/Kasy Long).

I love looking around my house and seeing the festive decorations. I encourage you to decorate your house with homemade decorations. These are priceless additions to your home, and you can pass them down for many generations.

There's nothing quite like getting into the holiday spirit than making creative holiday decor. Happy holidays, and have fun making beautiful decorations!

-KJL-


Comments

  1. It's looking a lot like Christmas around the house, thanks to you and your sister. Your creativity shined through in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very Christmas home you got there. It looks really nice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts