Saying Hello to 2017


As I reflect on 2016, I think about the amazing opportunities I had during my journey to self-discovery. I grew as an individual this year, discovering my passions and meeting so many new people. As I close this chapter, I look forward to a new year of opportunities, adventures and memories. However, I don't want to forget this year. So many say that this is a new year and the past is in the past. Let's forget the past as we move forward. Although, I don't want to forget about 2016. I met so many wonderful people, grew as an individual and explored God's plans for me.

Instead of forgetting about 2016, I'm taking this opportunity to reflect. Here's what I loved about the year:


This is joy. On May 14, I stood by my best friend's side as she married her Prince Charming. Marriage is a symbol of joy and blessings as a man and a woman are coming together to form their own family now. Being a bridesmaid in the wedding was not only a new experience for me, but it also provided lessons. I witnessed the union of a couple who love each other, but they also love God. God brought them together, and this was a common theme throughout the wedding ceremony. When I meet my own Prince Charming, I must trust God--as He always knows what He is doing.

Congratulations again, Mr. and Mrs. Varga!

Varga/Sheldon wedding--May 14, 2016 (photo/Kasy Long)

This is hope. I lost one of my best friends on February 6 to cancer. Her death came as a shock, as none of us knew she was so ill. I still think about Sarah all of the time, and I continue to miss her. Even though I wish she was still here with us, I have hope that she is a better place where she isn't sick. She can run and jump in Heaven. She is free of the cancer. She's smiling down on us and she's waiting for us to join her someday. 

2016 is also the first year I have not spent with my grandpa, as he passed away in November 2015. As I transformed this year I thought about my grandpa. I sometimes wished I could tell him about the new opportunities I had, but then I remember that he already knows about everything. He is watching me as I grow. He's still smiling; he's still cracking jokes. I can't wait to hear them someday. 

My beloved best friend, Sarah. (photo/Kasy Long)

My beloved grandpa. (photo/Kasy Long)

This is confidence. I took a chance this summer as I moved to Jamestown, New York for three months to become an intern at the National Comedy Center/Lucy-Desi Museum & Center for Comedy. I traveled to a new place, met some new people and gained confidence. As I tackled new tasks, I saw myself flourishing. I accepted all of the opportunities that came my way with a smile. By meeting new people and interacting with so many individuals during the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, I changed as an individual. I had to step away from the shy, insecure girl and I continued to see this progress as I returned to school this fall. I'm so thankful for the opportunity I had this summer. 

Lucy-Desi Museum & Center for Comedy (photo/Kasy Long)

This is hard work. My fall semester was the hardest semester yet for me during my undergraduate education. This is due to the fact that I completed my senior capstone project this semester. I was pushed to the limit. There were days when I sobbed because I couldn't handle the pressure and intense work, but I never gave up. I continued to work until I presented my project in November in front of the entire department. I said goodbye to one chapter and hello to the next--because I'm not done with my project. I'm never done talking about Abe Silverstein and how he should be honored. Completing my capstone project was just one phase to the beautiful journey of depicting Abe's work. But I must say, I'm so glad I'm done. 

Presenting my senior capstone project (photo/Shane Tilton)

This is hello. I say hello to 2017. There are so many jokes about 2016. Beloved celebrities died this year (David Bowie, Prince, Gene Wilder, Florence Henderson, John Glenn, and the most recent passing of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds). But 2016 isn't defined by these deaths. 2016 is defined by how you look at it. 2016 was a fantastic year for me. I traveled to a new place. I met some amazing people. I grew as an individual. I gained more confidence in myself. I grew closer to some of my friends. 2016 was my year to shine. 

Here's what I have to look forward to in 2017: 
  • Attending the Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP) Conference in February in Washington D.C. 
  • Presenting a paper and poem at the Sigma Tau Delta International Convention in April in Louisville. 
  • Graduating college in May. 
  • Hopefully accepting my first professional job (wherever that will be). 
  • Writing more work--and working on my Abe Silverstein project.
  • Meeting more people. 
  • Growing as a person. 
  • Loving life. 
"Loving life." If I have learned anything this year, it's that life is precious and valuable. Hug your families. Be thankful for everything that you have. Travel. Go explore the world as you grow. Love your life--and most importantly, live it. 

-KJL-






Comments

Popular Posts