Some Words of Wisdom

Peanuts comic. (photo/thewisejobsearch.com)
As I work as an intern for the Lucy-Desi Museum & Center for Comedy, I have learned the valuable lesson about the importance of having an internship during your undergraduate college education. Internships are the beginning steps for your career. They introduce students to the real-world atmosphere for their desired occupations. Internships provide the opportunities students cannot receive in a classroom.

So many people say internships are just "resume builders." While internships look great on paper for your future employers, they provide so many more tools for your growth as a professional. Internships teach students skills they can apply in the "real world." Internships are the training ground for jobs, and I personally believe you need to have an internship in college in order to become a successful professional after graduation.

(photo/geico.com)
Even in my three weeks of work for the museum, I have learned so much about communications and PR. I have applied skills I learned in my courses, though I have been able to understand the material discussed in my classes now in the "real world" of my job. I know what it is like to work in an office, participate in conference calls and complete tasks for communications and marketing. It's definitely a life-changing experience for me, and I would want every college student to have a similar experience like I am receiving this summer in Jamestown, NY.

I know I'm too young to be offering words of wisdom, but take my advice. If you're a college student, apply for internships. It never hurts to gain experience. You'll thank yourself in the future when you feel comfortable with your first job because you already have the skills.

Thanks to my internship, I have the skills to be comfortable with my first job after graduation. I don't know what the job will be, but I am confident that I will achieve at the tasks.

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts