Inspire Appreciation for Music



I was probably two or three years old when music first had a powerful effect on me. I was at my grandparents' house and my grandfather was playing the fiddle. I was completing a jigsaw puzzle with my grandmother when I heard the music. I couldn't help but play along. I stood up from my seat, ran to the piano (where my mom was playing), and I tapped on the keys at the right moment. I added my own twist to the song.

My grandfather. 
If you didn't know me personally, you would think this is the beginning of a story about how I was a child music prodigy, like Mozart. Or, that I grew up to be a concert pianist. That's not the case. You don't have to be the world's greatest musician to appreciate music. Instead, all you have to do is open your ears (literally) and listen to music.

Music is a large part of my family. For generations, family members reunited and bonded over their love for music. My grandfather predominantly played the fiddle. In high school, he played the trombone and before that, he could play the ukulele given to him by his father on his seventh birthday.

My grandfather playing the ukulele while his father (my great-grandfather) is playing the fiddle.

On my seventh birthday, my grandfather gave me the same ukulele. I'm currently making plans to learn how to play the instrument after all these years. But for now, it's nice to display the special instrument in my home. Maybe someday I can pass it down to one of my grandchildren--continuing the family tradition.

The ukulele. 

My siblings and I inherited our grandfather's talent for the violin. We were heavily involved in our school's orchestras, eventually becoming student leaders. My brother could easily play more country "fiddle" music than my sister and I could, just like our grandfather, but we each have a love for string music. Orchestral music is one of my favorite genres. It's therapeutic, dynamic, and calming. I can't help but feel "at peace" with each song. This is a sentiment shared amongst my siblings and myself, and we have our grandfather to thank for instilling this passion in us from the very beginning.

My siblings and I playing music with our grandfather.

A generation of fiddles.

A guitar.
You don't have to play a musical instrument to appreciate music. Some of the most passionate music fans in the world are ones who can't play an instrument or sing a tune. But they still enjoy music. They love the way the music makes them feel. They love how every song is different; therefore, you never hear the same song twice.

Open your hearts (and ears) to music. You never know what you might experience. Don't be afraid to try to learn a musical instrument, if you have never attempted to learn before. Pick up a guitar or sit down at a piano. Take a chance. It won't hurt anything.

Good luck!

-KJL- 

My grandmother's guitar.

Comments

Popular Posts