Weekend Writing: Reviewing Karen Kingsbury's "Brush of Wings"


"The ache inside returned without warning and the memories played out all over again...His voice, and his laugh, his hand around hers." - Karen Kingsbury, "Brush of Wings" 

Just two weeks ago, I reviewed Karen Kingsbury's Chasing Sunsets, the second book in the "Angels Walking" series. I thought that book was great, but I was in no way prepared for the emotional rollercoaster involved in the final installment of the series, Brush of Wings. 

I wasn't prepared, but I'm not complaining. It's an understatement to say I loved this book. The novel inspired and influenced me in more ways than I could ever explain in this blog post. But just in case you're not caught up on what the "Angels Walking" series is all about, here's a quick summary.

Karen Kingsbury's "Angels Walking" series (photo/PicClick).
The series focuses on a team of Angels who are assigned to various missions on Earth--to help lost individuals in their journeys. They must perform missions to help shape the future. When Angels walk, most people never know. But they are here, walking among us, and they're always ready to work for God's good grace.

The first book, Angels Walking, focused on Tyler Ames and Sami Dawson. The Angels had to work on their broken relationship, and it was a success. Tyler and Sami, former high school sweethearts, reunited.

But the second book, Chasing Sunsets, shifted direction and focused on their two best friends--Marcus Dillinger and Mary Catherine. As I discussed in my last review, Marcus and Mary Catherine are obvious soulmates. They belong together, but Mary Catherine hides her serious medical condition--her failing heart--from Marcus, and she continually brushes him away.

Karen Kingsbury's "Brush of Wings"
(photo/Kasy Long).
This leads to the third and final book, Brush of Wings. Again, the story focuses on Marcus and Mary Catherine. I wanted--no, needed--these characters to end up together. But, of course, it wasn't going to be that easy. Karen Kingsbury likes to play with our emotions, but in the best way possible.

Mary Catherine moves to Africa to work at a children's orphanage, despite her drastically failing health. She's on the verge of dying, and she nearly dies when an Angel miraculously contacts Sami, who then tells Marcus. He acts like the knight in shining armor and he somehow manages to transport her back to the United States to save her life.

I'm not going to spoil the ending of the book because you need to read it yourself, but let's just say I was very pleased with the results. Kingsbury concluded all of the main storylines throughout all three novels in the series. At the very beginning of the series, we know the Angels Walking missions had to be successful in order for a future child to be born and raised in a Christian household. By the end of the third book, we know who this baby is, but it's not who we think. It's an unexpected twist, but I was very pleased.

Karen Kingsbury (photo/Twitter)
Kingsbury introduced me to the idea of Angels walking on Earth. As a believer, I know Angels exist in Heaven, but it's such a unique concept that Angels could be here on Earth--helping us on our life journeys. They're here to guide us. I'm very thankful Kingsbury wrote about this subject. Like always, her books are emotional, intriguing, character-driven tales, and the characters always feel like friends.

I'm sad I've reached the end of this series. It was just so good. Thankfully, Karen Kingsbury has plenty of books for me to read, so I'll be sure to continue reading her "Life-Changing" Christian fiction. After all, her novels inspire me in ways other authors haven't. I'll always read her work.

Until next time, Karen Kingsbury.

-KJL-

Comments

Popular Posts